A lunch in town saw people passing out poppies in rememberance and thanks for those that fought in the many wars. My dad was beyond pleased to accept the poppy and the person’s thanks for his service when she gave it to him. That and an invitation to the VFW luncheon on Monday…well, his day was made.
As was mine.
The concert on the Mall is tomorrow but its the memorials that drew people in today in crowds. While the weather was perfect, the grief and stillness at the memorials, especially the Black Wall of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was immeasurable. And haunting. For me, the Wall and all the artifacts and aura of loss that lingers over it, has the most lasting impact of collective grief and sacrifice that I have seen outside of Arlington Cemetery.
If you come to Washington, DC, whether to see the Cherry Blossoms or the Capital or White House, take time to head over to the Mall. Visit the WWII Memorial, then head over to the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial, also known as The Wall, or The Wall That Heals. Here is The Wall’s page link for those of you who have never seen it. On the home page you will find these words.
“If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
Major Michael Davis O’Donnell
1 January 1970
Dak To, Vietnam
Listed as KIA February 7, 1978
Then proceed thru the website. It’s moving, its painful and their sacrifice for us in war becomes fresh once more.
Take some time this weekend to thank a veteran, in person or in memory.
This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, May 24 – Ireland Did It, They Really Did It! Woohoo!
- Its Memorial Weekend and This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, May 25:
- Jane Davitt’s “Closing the Loop” Tour and Riptide Contest
- In the Book Spotlight: His Womanly Ways by K. Lynn (excerpt and giveaway)
- Book Tour: The Hidden Wolf by Sue Brown (excerpt and giveaway)
- A BJ Review: Mountain Prey by Lyn Gala
- A MelanieM Review: The Hidden Wolf by Sue Brown
Tuesday, May 26:
- Lane Hayes cover reveal for The Right Time – cover reveal and giveaway
- Annabeth Albert’s ‘Delivered Fast‘ (Book 3 of the series) book blast and giveaway
- A MelanieM Review: Delivered Fast by Annabeth Albert
- A Mika Review: Time Waits by C. B. Lewis
Wednesday, May 27:
- Joy Lynn Fielding – Blowing Off Steam (Virtual tour and contest)
- From the Ashes by Lillian T. MacGowan book blast and giveaway
- A MelanieM Review: Blood and Ghosts by Shira Anthony
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Butt Riders on the Range Anthology
Thursday, May 28:
- In the Spotlight: Mia Kerick’s Love Spell (excerpt and giveaway)
- Annabelle Jacobs The Altered 2 Tour and Contest
- A Stella Review: Cliff’s Edge by Laura Harner
- A MelanieM Review: The Line by Angel Martinez
Friday, May 29:
- Tour for Lexi Alexander and Alpha Trine
- A Stella Review: No Matter What (Sex & Mayhem #4) by K.A. Merikan
- A BJ Review: Human Frailties, Human Strengths by Jaye McKenna
- A MelanieM Review: Tall With Room by A.J. Llewellyn
Saturday, May 30:
YA Saturday Continues:
- An Aurora YA Review: After I Wake by Emma Griffiths