Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there that have made such a huge impact on their children’s lives. That includes my father whose sterling qualities, indomitable will, intelligence and loving heart has always had a large part in my life and that of my daughter. I’ll be heading over to the farm shortly to help celebrate with all the family – together, boisterous, and loving.
But June is Pride Month. That combined with Caitlyn Jenner’s brave coming out, the ABC Family Channels series “Becoming Us“, “The Foster’s“, and more has me thinking about names, identities and the need for choice and change. What happens to the Mother’s Day and Father’s Day celebrations when one parent is transitioning? Or is Genderqueer or Genderfluid? Don’t those Greeting Card appellations become exclusionary instead of celebratory? I’m thinking that perhaps they do and unnecessarily so.
Why not combine the two and have a universal Parent’s Day? Or “Thank My Guardian” Day, ” Thanks for all the Love, Support, & Sacrifice-Love You” Day ? Yeah, yeah, I know, none of those have the zing and emotional tone that Mother’s and Father’s Day have. But a change in attitude and outlook might supply the needed patina of familial love and memories over time that it lacks now. And then there are the children to think about.
Why make it necessary for a child to explain that they have 2 dads on Mother’s Day or two mothers on Father’s Day when asked to “make cards for (insert name here)” in school, church, or whatever organization is asking the kids to do this as a craft? A universal day of thanks, joy and family for those that raised you would make those explanations unnecessary, as they should be. And it would include all those parents and caregivers that are part of the LGBTQIA community.
It’s time to enlarge our thinking along with our hearts. The world has gotten bigger, let’s hope it grows more inclusive and loving as well.
Happy Parents Day! It’s Going to Be A Good One, cross my heart!
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, June 21, 2015:
- Let’s Snuggle Up To Cardeno C’s Strange Bedfellows (tour and contest)
- Happy Father’s (?) Day. This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, June 22:
- Sword of the Gladiatrix by Faith L. Justice tour and contest
- Silver Scars by Posy Roberts guest post and giveaway
- Jeff Laver’s ‘Elder Petersen’s Mission Memories‘ book blast and contest
- A Stella Review: Taming the Lion by Elizabeth Coldwell
- A MelanieM Review: Retrograde by RJ Scott
Tuesday, June 23:
- Riptide’s The Tide of War by Lori A. Witt Tour and Giveaway
- Ana J. Phoenix ‘Branded’ book blast and contest
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: The Summer House by RJ Scott
- A MelaneM Review: Forging the Future by Mary Calmes
Wednesday, June 24:
- Summer Love YA Anthology from Duet (YA Imprint at Interlude Press)(contest)
- New tour: LJ LaBarthe – Waiting For the Moon and You (excerpt and giveaway)
- A Mika Review: Cheeky Hipsters & Jocks (BFP:The Secrets Collection) by Posy Roberts
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Spell Bound by Jacob Z. Flores
Thursday, June 25:
- Cover reveal ‘Prickly Business‘ by Piper Vaughn and Kenzie Cade
- A Stella Review: Coffee Cake by Michaela Grey
- A Mika Review: Falling by Suki Fleet
- A BJ Review: Psi Hunter (Guardians of the Pattern #1) by Jaye McKenna
Friday, June 26:
- In the Book Spotlight: VL Locey’s ‘Long Change’ – author interview and giveaway
- Letters from a Cowboy by Sue Brown blog Tour and contest
- Helping Hand by Jay Northcote – Book Blast and Giveaway
- A Mika Review:The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal by K.J. Charles
- A MelanieM Review: Bulldust by b.j. brumb
YA Saturday, June 27
- An Aurora Review: Noble Persuasion by Sara Gaines