Mid – summer blooms, Rainy Days, and the Surprises They Bring
I don’t think I can ever remember a rainier spring and beginning to summer than we have had this year. Not a day has gone by without a soaker shower or two and the ground is so saturated that it makes squishing sounds when you walk on it. Something Winston abhors.
But the vegetation is thriving, the growth on trees, shrubs and plants of all sorts is lush and things have bloomed here that I haven’t seen bloom in some time. Welcome back, double pink azalea, I thought you had died. Well, hello there, deep red lily, I forgot about you over by the lobelia. I love surprises like those. What’s equally great? Surprises in the books that have come my way and in the new authors that are popping up in the books my reviewers are reading.
Jon Keys. Have you heard of him? No? Well, I’m reading his book Obsidian Sun and I’m captivated by his characters and amazing world building. First the cover art that grabbed my attention (just a wow). Did I ever tell you all that I love spiders? Hmmm….well I do. Then an excerpt came my way that was heartrending and spell binding, all of which made me grab up a copy when I had the chance. Look for more about this book and Jon Keys later in the month.
BJ’s favorite author of late? That would be Jaye McKenna whose latest story in her Guardians of the Pattern, Ghost in the Mythe (Guardians of the Pattern #3.0), blew BJ away. Look for that review this week. Plus there are all these series that seem to be coming to an end this year like Ariel Tachna’s Lang Downs series, Shira Anthony’s Mermen of Ea, along with Tere Michaels Faith, Love, & Devotion series (sigh), among them. Some of these final stories I have loved and other finales? Not so much. But I have my favorites among them and I can see series finale stories shaping up to be the subject of a blog post of my own.
Did you catch Paul’s Paranormal Portfolio blog column last week? I loved Paul’s column on mpreg, btw, and can’t wait to see what he follows that up with. Do you have any suggestions for Paul for future columns? Make sure you send them on….he’ll love hearing from you.
Now I have a question for you all. Sometimes we get the ARCs (a review copy) for novels that won’t be released for weeks, sometime months. Do you all want to read these reviews early? Or would you all rather wait until closer to release time to hear about them? Barb, our Zany Old Lady read a story she adored from L.A. Witt, What He Left Behind. The Preorder is this week but it doesn’t get released until September. And this is happening more often then not. How do you all feel about that? Want to wait or get the reviews now?
Whew…that’s a lot of things to cover. I’m done and now lets get to this week’s schedule at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.
Our Upcoming Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, July 12, 2015:
- Mid-Summer Surprises & This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, July 13, 2015
- Sean Michael ‘Blended Family’ book blast and giveaway
- Riptide’s Where There’s Fire by Cari Z Tour and Giveaway
- A Stella Review: When Will I See You Again (Crescent Bay Chronicles #1) by Julie Lynn Hayes
- A MelanieM Review: Stud Player (King of Hearts, #2) by Havan Fellows
Tuesday, July 14, 2015:
- In the Spotlight: Plaid Nights Anthology – excerpts and giveaway
- A Sammy Review: Yours All Along by Roni Loren
- A Mika Review: A Casual Thing by Annabelle Jacobs
- A MelanieM Review: Dead Blind (Jack of Spades: 2) by Lee Brazil
Wednesday, July 15, 2015:
- JR Grey’s Bound Series Blog Tour and Contest
- The Baker Blog Tour and Contest
- A Stella Review: When Will I Be Loved (Crescent Bay Chronicles #2) by Julie Lynn Hayes
- A MelanieM Review: Flashbulb by Clare London
- A BJ Review: Cop Out by K.C. Burns
Thursday, July 16, 2015:
- A BJ Review: Ghost in the Mythe (Guardians of the Pattern #3.0) by Jaye McKenna
- A Barb, A Zany Old Lady Review: What He Left Behind by L.A. Witt
- A Paul B Review: Xavier by Catherine Lievens
- A MelanieM Review: Tigers on the Run (Tigers and Devils #3) by Sean Kennedy
Friday, July 17, 2015:
- Back to Market Gardens with On the Clock by Aleksandr Voinov and L.A. Witt (giveaway)
- In the Spotlight: Buchanan House by Author Charley Descoteaux
- Its All About The Fantasy with Danny’s Dragon by Sidonia Guillone (guest blog and contest)
- A Paul B Review: More Than Patient (A Loving Nip #4) by Charlie Richards
YA Saturday, July 18, 2015:
An Aurora YA Review: Book to Come