Black Panther, Superheroes, and LGBT Fiction
So we are taking a little sideslip this week away from the topics I had meant to talk about (like that’s ever happened before lol) because of a opening of a spectacular movie last night. That’s right Black Panther opened Thursday night to accolades everywhere! Kids, parents, teens, tweens, millennials, any age, and yes, any race, said this movie has it all. Yes it does. But to many, it’s much, much more.
Importantly, released during Black History Month, for the first time ever, a certified big budget blockbuster with a black superhero (not sidekick mind you, but the main hero), an almost all black cast, and a black director is rushing to break box office attendance records and looking to become a movement as the hashtag “WhatBlackPantherMeansToMe” has been trending.
Yes, it’s all about representation.
That’s something we have always known. It’s why Wonder Woman (directed by a woman) is so important to women and little girls everywhere. And why LGBTQIA fiction and yes comics are equally important to the LGBTQIA community.
Right now, Black Panther comics are flying off the shelves. Black Panther first appeared in Marvel Comic’s Fantastic 4 in 1966 and got his own comic in 1977. Here’s an article on the history of the Black Panther comics and serial…check it out.
The Black Panther comic of today is drawn a little differently. But all this got me thinking. What about gay superheros? I know Roan of Infected first popped into my mind (Andrea Speed) but how about others? What about graphic novels? What LGBTQIA Superheroes can we name? How about stories? Yes, that your cue….let’s find and name stories and LGBT superheroes! Include graphic novels if you can find them! We’re on a hunt and a mission!
It’s our LGBTQIA Superhero Hunt Giveaway! Find stories and LGBTQIA Superheroes! We will give you all the entire month that’s left. Must be superhero stories, can be graphic novels (comics). Giveaway ends March 3 at midnight. Gift certificates will be given away! Must be 18 years of age or older. Let the hunt begin!
Now onto this week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words. And go see Black Panther. It’s amazing! Plus you know people will be shipping those hot actors like crazy! lol
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, February 18:
- Black Panther, Superheroes, and LGBT Fiction
- This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, February 19:
- DSP Dreamspun Desires Promo Liv Olteano on Lover, Lover
- Hard To Let Go by Jaclyn Quinn Release Day Blitz
- Release Blitz – Loving Kit by L.M. Brown
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review : Seth & Casey by RJ Scott
- A Lila Audiobook Review: How To Bang a Billionaire by Alexis Hall and Joel Leslie (Narrator)
- An Alisa Audiobook Review: The Soldati Prince (Soldati Hearts #1) by Charlie Cochet and Narrator: Manuel Pombo
Tuesday, February 20:
- Blitz Sign-Up: Love on a Battlefield by Posy Roberts
- DSP Promo BA Tortuga
- Riptide Tour and Giveaway: Losing It by Christine d’Abo
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: Lover, Lover ( Dreamcatchers story) by Liv Olteano
- An Alisa Release Day Review: Teaching Ben by Shae Connor
Wednesday, February 21:
- Review Tour for Poke Check (Harrisburg Railers #4) by RJ Scott & VL Locey
- Harmony Ink Promo Annabelle Jay on Luminosity
- Release Blitz: Break Down (Dublin Rugby #4) by Rebecca Norinne
- An Alisa Review: Manic Pixie Dream Boy (Underdogs #1) by KA Merikan
- A MelanieM Review:Poke Check (Harrisburg Railers #4) by R.J. Scott and V.L. Locey
Thursday, February 22:
- Release Blitz Jay Northcote – Pretty In Pink
- Second Wind by Aimee Nicole Walker Blog Tour and Giveaway
- DSP Promo KA Mitchell on Bad Boyfriend
- A MelanieM Review: Second Wind by Aimee Nicole Walker
- An Alisa Review: Jingle Bears (The Bears of Falcon’s Ridge, #2.5) by Susan E. Scott
- A Lila Audiobook Review: Ante Up by Kim Fielding and Narrator: Andrew McFerrin
Friday, February 23:
- BOOK BLAST for As You Wish by Isobel Starling
- Heart2Heart Anthology Blog Tour
- Found by Annabella Michaels Tour
- A Stella Review: New Heights by Quinn Anderson
- An Alisa Review: Just Here For The Pain (Underdogs #2) by KA Merikan
Saturday, February 24:
- RELEASE BLITZ for Dead Camp #5 (The End Game part 2) by Sean Kerr
- Book Blitz – Penny Brandon’s Blind Passion
- A MelanieM Review: Point of Contact by Melanie Hansen