The Time is Right for Gay Superheroes
Does Black Panther’s Success
Open the Door for a Queer Superhero?
From your recommendations, finds and links, yes, there are gay superheroes out there in many forms and formats, yet few have made it through to the mainstream media yet as did Black Panther this year. The Pride, the picture at the top of the page is from The Pride comic by Joe Glass. It’s a small press comic series based in based in Treorchy, Wales. Started in 2011, the first 8 page story formed about a superhero team consisting of FabMan, Angel, Bear, Frost, Sapphire, Twink, White Trash, Wolf and Cub. I’ll let you guess who is who. Published sporadically through the years, it’s returning this year with Issue five of The Pride Adventures. Look for more information here.
Just as Black Panther , and the call #WakandaForever has become an affirmation of self, the beginning of a movement. Of joy, of recognition, of belief, of strength. If one movie…one comic has had, and continues to have the power to do all that for people of color. What would gay comic heroes be able to do for the LGBT nation?
Clearly, we need our gay superheroes just as badly as Black Panther and Wakanda is needed and is now being treasured and loved everywhere. Netflix series Jessica Jones comes to mind, but that’s hardly mainstream, although I love it so. Where will it come from and when? I have no idea but with Black Panther I hope I’m seeing a sea change, one that’s already brought us Wonder Woman and now will bring us a LGBT superhero where we can see a representation like no other before…#LGBTsuperhero #PrideForever.
LGBT Superhero Giveaway
Further Recommendations from our Readers and Winner Announcement:
don’t think I’ve read many stories with actual superheroes (the ones with super powers and a suit) would be:
Love for the Cold-Blooded Or: The Part-Time Evil Minion’s Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero by Alex Gabriel.
Thanks for the links and other recs, especially the reference to graphics. I remembered a few more, including one graphic. Most are on those links, but these are the ones I’ve read and enjoyed:
– EARTH 2, VOL 1 by James Robinson, et al – graphic, simple plot, but a visual thrill w gay Green Lantern.
– LOVESICK GODS by Amanda Meuwissen – new one, framed around greek mythology.
– THE DIVISION by C.C. Bridges – part-time superheroes (one closeted, other has a crush) team up against alien invasion.
– EDDIE & SHADOW series by Skylar Jaye – heck, why not a son of superheroes being sub to a Dom supervillain.
– and it’s been mentioned, but I liked it too – LOVE FOR THE COLD-BLOODED, OR THE PART-TIME EVIL MINION’S GUIDE TO ACCIDENTALLY DATING A SUPERHERO by Alex Gabriel – yep, that’s the title, nuf said.
Superheroes are some of my favorite reading. Definitely Skylar Jaye’s Eddie and its sequel Shadow. Cari Z’s Panopolis series, Where’s There’s Smoke, Where There’s Fire, and Where There’s a Will are wonderful reading. Alexis Hall has a superb short in the Winter Rain anthology, Behind the Masks. Dreamspinner had a really nice anthology, Men of Steel, that has since gone out of print sadly. In YA, Hero by Perry Moore is on my keeper shelf. Also, Superior by Jessica Lack is a novella that delighted me. Refraction by Hayden Scott is another YA that I really enjoyed.
Thank you all for some great links and recs. You all rock as always. This is a topic close to my heart as if you all haven’t guessed already. A huge geek I always had stacks of comic books at home (guess who’s mother tossed them..something I’ve never recovered from), seeing the resurgence of Black Panther and its impact has brought me to tears more than once. The thought of what a gay superhero could do for the LGBT youth and well, all the LGBT community? Leaves me speechless….
Happy March. Our winners are Purple Reader and Carolyn. Please contact Stella at email@example.com and she will help to get your gift certs to you. Congratulations. New giveaway coming up soon!
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, March 4:
- Cover Reveal for Lost Souls Found by Kris T. Bethke (giveaway)
- BG Thomas on One NIght Stands, Writing and his new release Orange (guest post)
- The Time is Right for Gay Superheroes. This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, March 5
- DSP Promo Laura Lascarso
- Hard To Let Go by Jaclyn Quinn Blog Tour
- Release Blitz – Promise Me We’ll Be Okay by Nell Iris
- A Jeri Review: The Time of My Life by Nora Phoenix
- A MelanieM Review: A Matter of Justice (Hong Kong Nights Book 3) by J.C. Long
- A Stella Review: If Ever I Cease to Love You by Shawn Bailey
- An Alisa Audiobook Review: Chief’s Mess (Anchor Point #3) by L.A. Witt and (Narrated by Nick J. Russo)
Tuesday, March 6:
- COVER REVEAL BLITZ Invitation to The Blues (Small Change #2) by Roan
- BLOG TOUR Unraveled by K.M. Neuhold
- Livingston (Trenton Security #1) by J.M. Dabney Release Day Blog Tour
- VLOG TOUR The Time of My Life by Nora Phoenix
- A Caryn Release Day Review: When Everything is Blue by Laura Lascarso
- A Free Dreamer Review:Finding Sanctuary (The Hampton Road Club #6) by Morticia Knight
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: Cowboy in the Crosshairs (Turquoise, New Mexico #1) by B.A. Tortuga
Wednesday, March 7:
- BLOG TOUR – Skater Boy by A.E. Wasp
- RELEASE BLITZ Off-Campus Setup by Maria Vickers
- Review Tour for Winter Cowboy (Whisper Ridge, Wyoming #1) by R.J. Scott
- Riptide Publishing Tour and Giveaway: The Pick Up by Allison Temple
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review:Winter Cowboy (Whisper Ridge, Wyoming #1) by R.J. Scott
- A MelanieM Review: The Calling by MD Neu
- An Alisa Review: Switching Places By Morticia Knight
Thursday, March 8:
- DSP Dreamspun Promo BA Tortuga
- Harmony Promo Russell J. Sanders on Titanic Summer
- INDIGO BLITZ Leaning Into the Fall (Audio) by Lane Hayes
- A MelanieM Audiobook Review: Runner by Parker Williams
- A MelanieM Review: Hard to Let Go (Haven’s Cove #1) by Jaclyn Quinn
- An Ali Review: Closer by F.E. Feeley Jr.
Friday, March 9:
- INDIGO TOUR Waking Oisin by Grace Kilian Delaney
- Release Blitz: Art by Adonis by Kris Sawyer
- Review Tour for Annabelle Jacobs’ Bitten By The Alpha
- A Caryn Review: Room for Recovery (Hearts and Health #4) by D.J. Jamison
- A MelanieM Review : Bitten By The Alpha (Regent’s Park Pack #4) by Annabelle Jacobs
- An Alisa Release Day Review: Heart of Glass (Lawyers in Love #3) by Ari McKay
Saturday, March 10:
- A MelanieM Review Art by Adonis by KRIS SAWYER