Hurricanes, Flooding, and Donations!
So I was going to talk more about books, donations, and how literary September was but once again the news and nature turned my attention away from my planned topic. That would be Hurricane Florence currently battering the eastern coast of the United States, causing flooding at heights never seen before, mass destruction and death. And more scheduled to come.
For many, we feel closely connected to what’s happening in the Carolinas. Whether it’s through families, friends, even through favorite authors like Megan Derr, Shira Anthony, Sasha Derr (Less Than Three Press), and more who have been marking themselves safe if not waterlogged and stressed out at home or just through all the pictures that are grabbing at our hearts on the media casts, this storm once again brings home how quickly things can change for people. From safe and secure to homeless and suffering in a night or a matter of days. Because of wind and rain, or the power of water flooding into a neighborhood and your home.
Then the calls go out. What can we do?
So once again, I’m pulling out the Charity Navigator, which help weeds out the scams and scammers to give you the best places to donate should you wish to help where help is so clearly needed:
Relief for Hurricane Florence
Highly-rated charities providing aid and support in the Carolinas
Hurricane Florence made landfall as a strong Category 1 storm in Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Ahead of the storm, the North and South Carolina coasts were issued mandatory evacuation orders. And, meteorologists continue to warn of the potential for “life-threatening storm surge and rainfall” in the hours and days following the hurricane’s landfall.
The governors of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia made state of emergency declarations for their states earlier this week. More than 1,000 National Guard troops have been deployed ahead of the storm to help with preparations and recovery after the storm hits. Residents that are not being evacuated are being told to prepare for record rainfall, dangerous flooding, and prolonged power outages.
Charity Navigator has compiled a list of highly-rated organizations planning to respond in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence. These organizations will provide assistance to the communities affected by the storm. Donors can designate their donations to the cause on the organizations’ websites respectively, or use Charity Navigator’s Giving Basket to complete their donations. Please note, at this time it is not certain that all of these organizations will spend 100% of donations received on Hurricane Florence relief.*
You can find more information about inclusion on this list by visiting our ‘How Can My Charity Be Added To This List?‘ page.
We will return to our literary programming next week hopefully so don’t forget about our giveaway. In the meantime Happy Reading and stay safe.
Literary Event Title Giveaway
If you all were to suggest a Literary Event for the calendar, what would it be? An International LGBT Romance Story Day? Triad in Lust Day? Quiltbag Aliens HEA Day? Give me some titles for our own special September literary events. Let’s call it our LGBTQIA Literary Event Title Giveaway! Have your title chosen and we will have Stella set you up with a $10 gift card from Dreamspinners. Giveaway runs through September 22.
Meanwhile, we have a great week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.
A new reviewer, Chaos Moondrawn starts in with her first review this week, I’m reviewing the 11th book in the Boystown series from Marshall Thornton, Lila is reviewing the new C.S. Poe, Barb has the new Cordelia Knightsbridge, and so much more. It’s going to be quite the week. So don’t miss out on a day of it.
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, September 16:
- This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
- Hurricanes, Flooding, and Donations!
Monday, September 16:
- Harmony Promo Andi Van
- Review Tour – His Heart Or Mine (The Individualists Series #1) by C S Joyce
- BLITZ Hurri Cosmo – To Save His Prince
- An Alisa Review: Homeless in Heaven by Deirdre O’Dare
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Saddle Up (Clean Slate Ranch #3) by A.M. Arthur
- A MelanieM Review: His Heart Or Mine (The Individualists Series #1) by C S Joyce
- A Stella Review: Love at First Hate (A Porthkennack Novel ) by JL Merrow
Tuesday, September 17:
- Release Blitz – Butterfly Hunter by Julie Bozza
- Release Blitz – C.J. Baty – Starting Over
- BLITZ Professor Adorkable by Edie Danford
- A Chaos Moondrawn Release Day Review: Savior (415 Ink #2) by Rhys Ford
- A Lucy Review: The Academy by Quinn Anderson
- A Stella Review: Butterfly Hunter by Julie Bozza
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: Hiding in Plain Sight (Camp H.O.W.L. #3) by Bru Baker
Wednesday, September 18:
- Book Blast – Unwrapping His Heart by Karrie George
- Book Blitz – Sugar Fighter – Charity Parkerson
- Release Blitz Garrett Leigh – Lucky
- Release Blitz The Heights by Amy Aislin
- An Alisa Release Day Review: The Nerd and the Prince (Small-Town Dreams #1) by B.G. Thomas
- An Ashez Review: Unwrapping His Heart (Hearts on the Line #1) by Karrie George
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Audiobook Review: Set Ablaze by K.C. Burn and Darcy Stark (narrator)
Thursday, September 20:
- Blog Tour for Infinite Blue by Natalina Resia
- DSP Promo Crystel Greene
- In the Spotlight Tour and Giveaway for The Academy by Quinn Anderson
- An Alisa Review: Professor Adorkable (Domesticated Inc #1) by Edie Danford
- A MelanieM Review: Infinite Blue by Natalina Resia
- A Lila Review The Heights (Lakeshore #1) by Amy Aislin
- A Chaos Moondrawn Review: Shipped (Until You #1) by Karrie Roman
Friday, September 21:
- Flash Me by KM Neuhold Blitz Blog Tour
- Release Blitz – The Heart Dealer (The Individualists Series #2) by C S Joyce
- Tour – Clancy Nacht – For Immediate Release
- A Caryn Review : Diego (Endangered Fae #2) by Angel Martinez
- An Alisa Review: Sugar Fighter (Sugar Daddies #1) by Charity Parkerson
- A MelanieM Review: Flash Me (Heathens Ink #7) by K.M. Neuhold
- A MelanieM Review: Drifting Sands (The Warfield Mysteries #1) by CJ Baty
Saturday, September 22:
- TOUR Risking It All by Morningstar Ashley
- A Chaos Moondrawn Review: Italian Weddings and Funerals (Italian Stallions, #1) by A.J. Llewellyn