Frightfully Fun and Ghoulish Ways of October
The countdown to Halloween and All Hallows Eve continues. Last minute decorations are still being put in place and costumes touches hang in the air. Decisions! Decisions! Oh, what fun! Scary movies to see at the theatre or to stream. Get that popcorn ready! Even Beetlejuice the play is here in town.
Carved pumpkin contests abound! Love those! I just got my pumpkins and now have design decisions to make as well. Free hand? Draw out picture and lines to follow? Hmmm…don’t know. There are certainly some genius designs out there. What imaginations to jumpstart mine. Take a peek at some of these.
Do you carve pumpkins? Which way do you go? Traditional? Wacky? Nerd? Scary? Or for the laugh? Let us know? Maybe send us a pic if you are so inclined. And Happy Halloween Early.
More Frightfully Scary Stories and Tales of Horror that Go Boo for You:
Love the pics but I’ve never celebrated Halloween and I don’t know anyone who goes all out for the decor. Even the homes in my old neighborhood and new don’t really celebrate but I do like when I walk into a store and they have tried to do some decoration but also sell the items.
Other books I’ve thought of that can be a good Halloween read are the
Gothika Anthologies released by DSP
In a Dark Wood by Josh Lanyon
Mummy Dearest by Josh Lanyon
All In Fear: A Collection of Six Horror Tales by Steve Berman, et al
Unhinged by Rick R. Reed
Well, what does make me shiver my timbers? First, I have to care about the characters being threatened. The threat has be believable, and sometimes mysterious, that adds some suspense/tension. And then, people draw this line at different places, but it has to be monstrous without being too gruesome. With that in mind …
– A mysterious killer on the loose in my home state of TX (and historical at that):
THE GERMAN by Lee Thomas
– Speaking of TX, and who can resist this mashup?”
COWBOYS & VAMPIRES by Hank Edwards
– One where monsters are done well, with an edge:
MONSTER (Vertex #1) by Soren Summers
– Another mysterious monster, set in a fav historical time for me, the NW Territory:
MAN & MONSTER (The Savage Land #2) by Michael Jensen
I’m also throwing in Ground of Insurrection (Wizard Wars, #1) by Mell Eight because there’s nothing like a living prairie that likes to eat people. More to come. Almost done. Only a short time left to get those titles in.
What makes a story go Boo for You? And which ones have?
You have until the end of the month to get your recs into us. I’m sure the authors and publishers will be releasing titles all month. Let us know what new ones you find. We will be doing the same. Gift certs will be given out in our Horror or Boo For You Title Rec Giveaway!
And now onto what’s happening at our blog this week!
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, October 21:
- Frightfully Fun and Ghoulish Ways of October.
- This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
- Austin/Man Up Series by Felice Stevens Audio Tour
- A Caryn Review: Single White Incubus by EJ Russell
- A Stella Review : Falling Into Love by Nell Iris & Kris T Bethke
Monday, October 22:
- Panther Queen, by Amir Lane – release day blast
- Release Blitz Tour – I’ve Been Careless With A Delicate Thing
- Cover reveal Addis on the Inside by Annabelle Jay
- Promo Laura Lascarso
- A Lucy Review At Long Last: Scott and Preston by Shawn Lane
- A MelanieM Audiobook Review: Crocus (Bonfires #2) by Amy Lane and Nick J. Russo (Narrator)
- A Free Dreamer Review Priest & Pariahs (Centauri Survivors Second Chance Chronicles #3) by J. Alan Veerkamp
Tuesday, October 23:
- Blog Post – Sarah Hadley Brook – Gateway To Love\
- Book Blast – Omega Challenge by Quinn Michaels
- BLITZ One Step Back by Edie Danford
- Book Blast: Shadow Voice Author: Mary Rundle
- An Alisa Release Day Review: Every Other Weekend by TA Moore
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Release Day Review: Hiding the Moon (Fish Out of Water #4) by Amy Lane
- A Chaos Moondrawn Review: Expeditions, Estimation, and Other Dangerous Pastimes (Claimings #4) by Lyn Gala
Wednesday, October 24:
- Release Blitz – An Erie Collection – V.L. Locey
- Blog Tour Pisces Hooks Taurus (Signs of Love #4) by Anyta Sunday
- Review Tour – – Fling by Baylin Crow
- An Ashlez Review: The Story of Us by Barbara Elsborg
- An Alisa Audio Review: BFF by K.C. Wells
- A MelanieM Review: Green Death by Madeleine Ribbon
Thursday, October 25:
- In the Spotlight Tour and Giveaway: Single White Incubus by EJ Russell
- Man Up Series – Franke by Felice Stevens Audio Tour
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Honeymoon For One by Keira Andrews
- A Lila Review: Ben’s Bakery and the Hanukkah Miracle by Penelope Peters
- A Stella Release Day Review: Strays by A.J. Thomas
- A Chaos Moondrawn Prerelease Review: The Bones Beneath My Skin by T.J. Klune
Friday, October 26:
- Release Blitz – Dark Rivers by Morgan Brice
- A Lucy Release Day Review: Embracing Fate (A Series of Fates #2) by C.C. Dado
- A MelanieM Review: Faith (Graphene #2) by Archie Hellshire
- A Free Dreamer Review: Roam (Roam #1) by Dez Schwartz
- A Chaos Moondrawn Review: A Dance of Water and Air (Elemental Magicae, #1) by Antonia Aquilante
- An Ashez Review: An Erie Collection by V.L. Locey
Saturday, October 27:
- Cover Reveal – Irresistible Indigo (D’Vaire, Book 9) by Jessamyn Kingley
- A Stella Review: All He Ever Needed by Cate Ashwood
- A Stella Review “no way out” by Eric Alan Westfall