Scattered Thoughts on the Rainbow Quiltbag
So I was sort of at a loss as to what to write about this week, my thoughts were all over the place. And as usual, it came to me through a conglomeration of pictures, hits to the heart, books, people, and just moments in the weirdness that is my mind.
What all clashed together? Well, it started with this quote from a story I’m reviewing next week from NR Walker. It’s called Upside Down. If you haven’t read it, run out and grab it now. I’ll be reviewing it later on.
“Asexuality is defined by the absence of something.”
Boom! What a way to start a novel and to set off an astonishing inner monologue by a character who’s intelligent,endearing, compex, and seeking answers to his sexuality. And not happy with the article he’s been reading. Of course, he hasn’t exactly finished it as his best friend and fellow librarian will later point out. But it prompts a discussion over the fact that he feels that as a person he doesn’t feel that he’ should be defined by an absence of anything. What follows is an extraordinarily well written story about one man’s journey towards understanding his asexuality, two men in love,and their heartwarming romance and path to HEA which includes a daily bus ride, a Soup Crew and a cast to carry your heart. One of my two 5 star reads in a week.
And for this blog and many others a story with characters that are Ace is standard, just part of the LGBTQIA spectrum we read and review. Genderqueer, Non-binary, and Genderfluid , Pansexual, Aromantic, Intersex, our reviews (along with the books we are offered) have expanded far beyond what this blog first began with.
I couldn’t be happier or sadder that it took so long.
When Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words first took its first baby steps years ago, all our stories (I was at first the only reviewer as the owner), the only stories primarily out there were M/M. Slowly I remember one or two transexual short stories trickling in, a couple of bisexual characters in others that people angrily fought over in reviews on GRs and here because bisexuality was still so poorly understood by some writers that they still considered it that “way station” to gayness, instead of a legitimate sexuality all its own.
But for the most part, M/M, with the F/F fiction for the most part not being carried along side.
Now things have changed. We do read and review the spectrum. Yes, perhaps, it’s still heavy on one or several sides, but we are getting better as does our choices of books sent in to read and review. That’s grown steadily larger too. Perhaps to to ePublishing, eBooks? I don’t know, but grown it has as Yoda would say.
It’s not just our stories but the change is reflected in the authors who mirror the rainbow of stories we read and review.
You wondered what else sparked this all things Rainbow? This…I have someone at the Star Wars con and they posted this pic..
Our stories have always been full of geeky nerds we love to fall in love with and one recent story I read even featured a Con, with an enormous amounts of fans. If its Star Wars, can it’s fans of any shape, size, color, or sexuality be far behind? I think not.
I guess from a Pride Squadron to a librarian looking for answers to a YA #lovehim series that continues to astonish me, the full spectrum of the Rainbow hit me full force this week, as did a bit of “wow I’m so happy we’ve come so far”.
I know we have a long way to go but as it’s pouring outside and I’m looking forward to setting in with another book this afternoon (and GoT tonight). I’m still so happy at the strides made ….steps forward are still that. Movement ahead. And that’s where I’m focused!
What are your thoughts on all this?
And btw? I’m both Star Wars AND Star Trek! lol Just don’t ask me which Captain….we don’t have that much time!
Now for our schedule this coming week! There be dragons ahead tonight!
This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, April 14:
- This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
- Release Blitz for Finding Finlay (MC Securities #2) by Ruby Moone (excerpt and giveaway)
Monday, April 15:
- DSP PROMO LaQuette on Under His Protection
- DSP PROMO Royal Blue
- Release Blitz – Ace in the Picture by Jude Tresswell
- Release Blitz – Outshined by Clancy Nacht & Thursday Euclid
- An Ashlez Review: Outshined by Clancy Nacht & Thursday Euclid
- A Stella Review: Indulge Me (Kitchen Gods #4) by Beth Bolden
- A MelanieM Review:To Be Continued (#lovehim #3.5) by S.M. James
Tuesday, April 16:
- Release Blitz – Lillian Francis – Under The Radar
- Blog Tour – Strokes on a Canvas by H. Lewis-Foster
- Blog Tour – Galen’s Redemption (Links in the Chain #2) by Parker Williams
- An Ashlez Review: Catastrophe by Deirdre O’Dare
- A Stella Review: Galen’s Redemption (Links in the Chain #2) by Parker Williams
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: Where There’s A Will Deanes (Get Out #4) by Sean Kennedy
- A Lila Release Day Review: Under His Protection by LaQuette
Wednesday, April 17:
- Release Blitz – Wrong Way Home – K.A. Merikan
- Release Blitz – Indulge Me (Kitchen Gods #4) by Beth Bolden
- AUDIOBOOK REVIEW TOUR – With a Kick Collection #2 by Clare London
- An Alisa Review: Coming Home Finding Home #2) by Carly Marie
- A Stella Review: Let Me Show You by Becca Seymour
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Audio Review – With a Kick Collection #2 by Clare London
Thursday, April 18:
- Sale Blitz for Love & Family Book 1: TABOO FOR YOU
- Cover Reveal for Rebecca Cohen’s Anthony, Earl of Crofton
- Release Blitz for – Tainted Love by T.S. Hunter
- An Alisa Review: Because of Sam by J.D. Walker
- A MelanieM Review: Tainted Love (Soho Noir #1) by T.S. Hunter
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Playing in the Dark (Glasgow Lads #4) by Avery Cockburn
Friday, April 19:
- Series Blitz/Review Tour – Holeshot Series – Lynn Michaels
- Starting From Zero by Lane Hayes Book Blitz
- Release Blitz Grace Kilian Delaney – Living On A Dare
- An Alisa Review: Hunter (Roam #2) by Dez Schwartz
- An Ali Review: The Holeshot (Book #1) by Lynn Michaels
- A MelanieM Review: This Is Not A Love Story by Suki Fleet
- A Chaos Moondrawn Review: Best Behaviour by Matthew Metzger
Saturday, April 20:
- Release Blitz – Alex Jane – Devil Next Door (Criminal Delights: Obsession)
- A MelanieM Review: Heated Rivalry (Game Changers #2) by Rachel Reid