Burning Boundaries (Elemental Evidence #2)
Publisher: Pride Publishing
Cover Artist: Emmy Ellis
Preorder: 23rd May
Early Download (from Pride Publishing): 6th June
General Release: 4th July
Genre(s): Contemporary, Erotic Romance, Fantasy – Urban & Magical Beings, Mystery & Thriller, Paranormal, Paranormal – Psychic Talents
Hello, I’m Dr. Gale and I’ve been asked to think of twenty random things that people might not know about me, so here goes.
- My Doctorate is in Security Usability of AI processes in Authentication and Transmission Programs. I received it when I was just twenty years old.
- My middle names are Wesley Arthur. Wesley is my father’s name, though everyone calls him Troy. I think that may be a Stingray thing, but I’m not sure. Arthur is my maternal grandmother’s maiden name.
- I learned to write code when I was four and a half. I built my first computer when I was seven.
- I was the youngest person ever to enroll at my University College, I was twelve years and seven months old.
- From the age of 8, until I was about 14, I was actually quite chubby. I burned all the photos.
- My Mama calls me Ilmari, my Papi calls me Blue, short for Blue-Eyes.
- The first time I tried to surf a telephone line I was six and a half years old. I eavesdropped on my Great Grandmama’s neighbours but then my Papi caught me and I came back to my own body so fast that I knocked myself out. Which was kind of embarrassing.
- This will surprise Chivis, but I can actually ride a horse. He isn’t the only city person that’s done great outdoors stuff. I also ski pretty well.
- I took up running when I was 13, mainly to impress a guy I liked at my University.
- I have dated precisely four other people prior to meeting Jake Chivis. That’s not counting casual flings. Two guys, and two girls.
- I am 6’ 2” tall.
- Yes, I am a natural blond.
- Yes, I wear contacts. No, they aren’t tinted, my eyes are genuinely this color.
- I speak five languages, English, French, Suomi, Catalan and Malay Chinese.
- I’m an Aquarius.
- My favourite place in the world is Kotka in Finland. It’s where my Great Grandmama and Aunts lived and it’s so beautiful it takes my breath away.
- I was actually born in Mauritania, in a war zone, to be precise, but my birth was registered in New Haven, New York State. I have joint American/Finn nationality because my mother was born in Finland.
- My Great Grandfather studied in England and was one of the very first pilots for the Royal Flying Corps, the forerunner of the R.A.F. He was decorated for gallantry and outstanding service during the First World War. In spite of knowing this, I still hate flying.
- My shoe size is 10 and a half. Or 11 in American.
- I have a serious thing for tall, shy, part-Native-American Arson Investigators.
Mari Gale’s life has been a whirlwind since meeting Jake Chivis. A new job prospect and his mother’s health preoccupy him, so when Jake invites him on a date he’s ready to cut loose. Their night out turns into a nightmare when a fire breaks out in the basement of the bar and they barely escape.
Soon Jake learns that the horrific accident is being investigated as a possible homicide, and it’s not the only case. Detective Inspector Cordiline of the London Met hints at spontaneous human combustion, but as far as Jake knows, SHC doesn’t exist.
When Mari looks into a group called Birthright, he finds a connection to the victims of the fires and Jake risks himself to go undercover at the shadowy organization. The race is on to determine the truth before Jake becomes the next target.
Length: 103,000 Words
Heat Level: 4 out of 5
Elemental Evidence Series Info:
Former Detective Jake Chivis is a Fire Elemental who uses psychometry to see the past. Doctor Ilmarinen Gale is an Air Elemental, a human/cybernetic interface, able to infiltrate even the toughest information systems. Together they find out just how potent a combination Fire and Air can be when it comes to solving crimes.
Amid murder, conspiracy and a world that views them with suspicion, and sometimes contempt, Jake and Mari circumvent the conventional. While the police aren’t always appreciative of their methods they can’t deny the results.
When they aren’t busy consulting for the police, figuring one another out is their next big mystery. One that proves as frustrating as it is passionate. Between hunting killers and avoiding competing government agencies that want the two of them working on their side, they just might have enough time for love.
Was that flirting? Was he flirting with the guy? Jake tried to rein those thoughts in but he couldn’t help it. Mari had a habit of flirting, but it had never bugged Jake before. Jesus, they’d managed to go to one bar for an hour and already he was devolving into Neanderthal territory. He realized something else. It had never really bothered him when he and Alex had gone out and his ex had spent all night coming on to strangers. Then again, he’d known Alex was doing it to get a rise out of him. That was not Mari’s way, at all.
“You want another drink?” Jake asked, by way of keeping himself from hauling Mari out of there and grilling him about whether he wanted to sleep with Mr. Whips and Tattoos. They had to step to one side as a sweating, agitated-looking guy pushed by them on the stairs in an obvious hurry to get down to the basement for some chastisement. Though he looked chastised enough already, in Jake’s opinion.
“If you do,” Mari said, then exhaled a huff that might have been regret and might have been relief. “Unless, of course, you just want to put me over your shoulder and carry me out, Mr. Caveman. I wasn’t giving him the come-on. So you can stop looking daggers. And don’t deny it.” He pointed a slender finger at Jake as he opened his mouth. “I could see you thinking it. Yes, he’s very cute, but he’s not really my type. I do like his toy box though.”
Jake snapped his mouth closed then pushed a hand through his hair and let out a sigh of his own. He had always pitied guys that acted like possessive jerks and here he was being as transparent as glass, all but snarling at anyone who got too close to Mari. “I’m sorry. I was aiming not to be obvious. I’ll try and refrain from clubbing you over the head and dragging you out by the hair.” He managed a sheepish grin.
“In that case, it would be my pleasure to have another drink with you, Chivis.” Mari chuckled, slipping a hand around the nape of his neck and towing him in for a brief, firm kiss.
They made their way back up into the bar and as they were weaving their way through the crowd, Jake heard someone shout, then screaming coming from the direction of the basement.
The red and gold lighting seemed to be flickering and Mari yelled, “Can you smell something burning?”
Jake noticed the smell just as Mari was saying it, and turned his head. A curl of pale smoke was winding up from the basement stairway, not thick but noticeable.
“Shit!” He grabbed Mari’s arm. “Get out of here. Hurry.”
Jake gave him a push toward the front exit then shoved through the crowd, trying to get to the stairs.
Buy Links Etc:
Apple: Coming Soon
ARe: Coming Soon
Barnes & Noble:
Kobo: Coming Soon
Smashwords: Coming Soon
Originally hailing from Detroit Michigan, Bellora now resides on the sunny Gulf Coast of Florida where a herd of Dachshunds keeps her entertained. She got her start in writing at the dawn of the internet when she discovered PbEMs (Play by email) and found a passion for collaborative writing and steamy hot erotica. Soap Opera like blogs soon followed and eventually full novels. The majority of her stories are in the M/M genre with urban fantasy or paranormal settings.
Sadie Rose Bermingham:
A storyteller since before she started school, Sadie also enjoys reading, photography, live music and long walks on the beach. Sadie has worked as a bookseller, a pedigree editor for the racing industry and a local and family history researcher. Originally from the north of England, she has been working her way across the UK ever since. She currently resides on the south east coast with her long term partner, where she hopes to buy a mobile home and establish a whippet farm.