Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Nelson’s a retired a cop who now works evenings as security-guard job, while also helping out his community on his days off with his therapy dogs. He’s at the hospital with one of his dogs when Hurricane Lauris comes barreling down on his community. Caleb, an attractive man who works at the building Nelson guards, is at the hospital to get a cast taken off his broken foot. After taking Nelson up on the offer of a lift home, Caleb finds himself stranded in Nelson’s home with three dogs when the storm worsens.
This novella had me from the first scene where Bonnie, the handicapped therapy dog in a wheeled cart, is entertaining kids at the hospital with her big, sweet bear of an ex-cop owner. I adored Nelson from the get-go.
I’m a huge animal lover, so throw together two unique, highly relatable main characters, three dogs, a pregnant cat, a couple adorable kittens and a hurricane and that equals out to one thoroughly enjoyable read for me.
There’s heat and attraction from the start, but the guys run into a few stumbling blocks. For one thing, Nelson’s a dog guy while Caleb’s a cat lover. Then there’s the little fact that both men prefer to bottom. And just for good measure, the author throws in a little twist that sets it quite apart from most books I’ve read in this genre.
A well-written, short but sweetly enjoyable read with some heat.
Cover Artist: Kris Jacen. While the cover is nice enough, the identical photo is used for all the books in the series. A tiny bit of individualization, maybe even just different silhouettes, would have spiced it up.
ebook, 87 pages
Published October 3rd 2014 by MLR Press
Series Storming Love: Hurricane, One Storm, Twelve Men:
- Gage and Collin (Storming Love: One Storm, Twelve Men #1) by S.J. Frost
- Bradley & Mike (Storming Love: One Storm, Twelve Men #2) by Stephani Hecht
- Bear & Travis (Storming Love: One Storm, Twelve Men #3) by Parker Williams
- Austin & Troy (Storming Love: One Storm, Twelve Men #4) by Kendall McKenna
- Nelson & Caleb (Storming Love: One Storm, Twelve Men #5) by Kaje Harper
- Doug & Neal (Storming Love: One Storm, Twelve Men #6) by Diana DeRicci