TITLE: Love, Joy, Heartache & Pain
AUTHOR: John H. Ames
PUBLISHER: Ai Press
COVER ARTIST: Sid Love
LENGTH: 207 Pages
RELEASE DATE: March 31, 2016
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain!
Love, Joy Heartache and Pain is my latest work of fiction under my pen name, John H. Ames. There are a few little things behind this novel that you might find a little interesting and odd. I’ll be sharing ten of them with you today in hopes that I might keep you entertained and distracted for a few minutes. So? Are you guys ready? Okay, here we go!
- Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain is a collection of three short stories that when combined act as a full-length novel. However, I can safely say that each story can stand on their own. You don’t have to read all three. You can only read one or two. You can read them in any order and whenever you want.
- Each story stars a different couple. You won’t see the same couple in all three stories. You might learn what happened to them and what they are up to, but that will be it. This way each story can stand on its own and complement each other if you read all three.
- Each story conveys a different emotion that I was going through when I wrote them. Once you read all three stories, you’ll see that I’m a very emotional individual. When I wrote these stories, I was in a very emotional place. Reviews from my first novel dropped and readers bashed it left and right. It really hurt my feelings and the only way to release all that anger and frustration was by writing it down. And let me tell you, the finish result was amazing! I love these short stories. They might not be perfect, but they’re mine and they’re my babies.
- Each story is dedicated to a special someone. I wanted to thank everyone that has been with me since day one or inspired me in one way or the other. From my fans to my haters, I thanked them all with a short and sweet dedication.
- The first story channels a little Freaky Friday. I’m a huge movie lover. When I’m not writing, reading, or working, I’m definitely seeing an old movie or the latest one. I can definitely say that the first story was inspired a little by Freaky Friday. Yes, a little. Not a lot since they’re huge differences between the two. I simply borrowed ‘the switching of bodies’ idea and added a lot of more twisted turns. If you read a little closer, there’s a huge A Cinderella Story reference in the first story as well. I won’t tell you where, you just have to read it.
- Nick and John, from Surviving Elite High, are mentioned in one of the stories. I know lots of you are a Nick and John fan. So I wanted to give you a small preview about my favorite couple in the world. Pretty soon you’ll be able to know what happened to them after graduating from Elite High in Surviving Elite High: The Next Generation.
- Each story has its very own theme song. I decided to pick a theme song for each one. Do you guys want to know what they are? Fine! You pressured me into telling you. The three songs are: Quando, Quando, Quando by Michael Buble, Spirit Indestructible by Nelly Furtado, and Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by Marilyn Manson. I think each song tells a lot about each story. Look at these three songs like a soundtrack to Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain.
- The second story is based on an urban legend. We’ve all heard the legend of the Vanishing Hitchhiker. This is the urban legend in where people traveling by car meet a hitchhiker that subsequently vanishes without explanation from their moving vehicle. This urban legend is so popular worldwide that it immediately caught my attention. I was fascinated by it and decided to write my very own version with a very cool and unexpected plot. I really hope you enjoy it because, out of all three, the second story is my favorite one.
- The last story can be a little controversial since it’s very special in many ways. The Lake View Psychopath can be a little gory and the ending might shock you. Many who have read it have asked me the same question over and over again. Was it all a dream? Did it really happened? Read it and you tell me. The ending is not ambiguous at all. If you look at it closely, you’ll see the answer staring you in the face.
- I’m seriously thinking about writing another set of three unique short stories similar to Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain. Depending on how well this novel is received, I might pen down a second part to Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain with three different couples and three different stories.
There you go guys! I really hope you enjoyed reading these ten little things. I definitely loved writing them and sharing them with you. These small little things show you that authors don’t simply sit down and write down anything that comes into their minds. Everything is well planned out and calculated. You guys want to stalk me? Look me up at https://johnhenryamesbooks.wordpress.com/ or email me at email@example.com. See you soon!
BLURB: A collection of new entwined stories by best-selling Young Adult author, John H. Ames. Love that reaches beyond the boundaries of the physical realm…
The not so unrealistic detailed account of how my best friend and I swapped bodies for a short period of time. -High school is one of the most excruciating and painful periods of any teenager’s life. To Kyle, it’s hell on earth. Being the target of the jocks made him hate high school more than anything in the world. All he has is his best friend and the center of the jock’s interest, the beautiful Kylie Bursnell. But Kylie is not your typical beauty. She hates the jocks even more than Kyle, especially Lucas Edward Johnson, a jock who is madly in love with her and Kyle’s forbidden dream. After a bizarre and freaky night, they swap bodies and are force to live each other’s live. Can this actually be true? Has Kyle’s dream come true? Will he be able to love Lucas Edward Johnson unconditionally until the end of time? Or is their love nothing but a beautiful dream enveloped in heartache and pain?
The Spirit Indestructible
Brandon Angelo William has it all. He’s hot, popular, shy, humble, and one of the typical and regular guys in high school. But, unbeknownst to everyone, he’s a closeted gay teen who came out to his parents the previous year. They loved and accepted him with open arms so what more could Brandon want? Love. The one thing that his soul and body need. After a late night out with his best friend, Kevin, Brad sees one of the most beautiful guys he has ever laid eyes on. But could the teen in front of him be real? Or is he the legendary hitching ghost that everyone talks about? Brad needs to find out and what he discovers shocks him and changes his young life forever…
The Lake View Psychopath
Jocks beware, he’s here and he’s not scared. Ashton Hall hates his existence at Lake View High. The jocks have made his life a living hell and his friends have completely turned their backs on him. Why? For being gay and dating the love of his life, Austin Young. Almost overnight, they became the center of every joke and every bully’s paradise. To make matters worse, even the school’s coach allows his ‘jock superstars’ to make fun of them.
But everything the night Austin Young is brutally murdered by the jocks and they walk free. Something snaps inside Ashton’s head and the only think he can think of is revenge. Will Ashton come to his sense and let Austin go? Or will he become one of the greatest serial killers of all time?
And there I stood, at the entrance of the school, wishing I were anywhere else but in this goddamn rat hole of hypocrites, liars and backstabbers.
“Move it loser!” Andrew shouted, knocking me to the side.
And then there was Andrew Cooper. He and a couple of his jock friends laughed and teased me as they walked inside the building. Andrew Cooper, the asshole jock, was the main reason why I hated my life at Gelson High. I couldn’t wait for graduation at the end of the year, so he could kiss my white ass goodbye once and for all. I loathed that pathetic little loser with all my heart, body and soul.
“Take comfort in the fact that this is his fifth year here.” A voice behind me caused me to immediately turn around.
And there she was, Kylie Bursnell, in all her glory. Now, since she is my best friend, me, a geeky little loser who’s afraid of a big, muscular jock, many of you may think that might make Kylie either a nerd or a reject from hell. Well, that isn’t the case at all. In fact, Kylie is one of the cheerleaders on the Gelson High cheerleading squad. The girl is a freaking bombshell! Every guy wants her, except for my other best friend, Josh, the rebel of our senior class. That’s the clichéd part of this story. For some reason, he doesn’t like her, or they just don’t click. You may be wondering why a girl like her would even be friends with a loser like me since cheerleaders are mostly shallow, arrogant and mean. Well, she’s not the typical cheerleader, that’s for sure. She is real and down to earth, just like me.
Juan H. Alvarado was born in El Salvador C.A. He currently lives in Belize and began writing in 2008. He posted some of his work on an internet website, and after receiving positive feedback, he completed several full-length novels under his pen name, John Henry Ames. His first completed novel is Surviving Elite High. The story chronicles the life of a gay sixteen-year-old boy as he makes his way through life as an outcast in the shadows of an elite high school where he is tormented by two psychopathic bullies. His passions are writing, reading and spending time with the ones he loves.
Winner’s Prize: $15 Amazon GC
April 4: Man2ManTastic
April 5: Cia’s Stories
April 8: MM Book Escape
April 12: Drops of Ink
April 13: Alpha Book Club
April 14: Joyfully Jay
April 15: The Novel Approach
April 16: Prism Book Alliance