In Chechnya, gay men — and those perceived to be gay — are being abducted, beaten, tortured and forced into labour camps. Despite international appeals, the Chechen government callously continues its purge.
But we can help.
Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens are running two events to raise money for organisations working to evacuate vulnerable individuals from Chechnya.
In Books Save Lives, authors donate their royalties to these organisations.
We’re also hosting an online auction from Friday, May 5 to Saturday, May 13 featuring signed paperbacks, author services, and other great prizes for people who love books.
Gay and bi men are under attack in Chechnya, part of the Russian Federation. The Washington Post reports that the government is rounding them up in torture camps, with at least 100 arrests and three deaths. The need to evacuate vulnerable Chechens is urgent. Ninety people so far have sought help from the Russian LGBT Network, and three to five new Chechens reach out to the network’s hotline each day for assistance.
Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens have joined together to raise funds for the Russian LGBT Network, ILGA-Europe and Rainbow Railroad, which are helping LGBT Chechens escape to safety.
This consists of an ongoing fundraiser by authors who are donating a percentage of their book proceeds to these organizations (which goes beyond May 12) and an online charity auction from May 5 to May 12.
Here’s how authors, publishers, and other creatives can get involved! Sign up here.
- If you’re an indie author, you can sign up to donate a percentage of your royalties to one of the designated charities.
- You can donate an item to our online charity auction running from May 5 to May 13.
- Make a direct donation to one of the designated charities and tell your readers about it.
- Talk to your readers about these events through your newsletter or by sharing these pages on social media with the hashtag #chechenrainbow.
Readers can help by:
- Bidding on items in the online charity auction.
- Buying books by authors donating their royalties.
- Sharing these pages on social media with the hashtag #chechenrainbow.
- Donating directly to one of these four charitable organisations:
- Russian LGBT Network — Organization working directly with LGBT Chechens.
- ILGA-Europe — organization providing funds to LGBT/humanitarian organizations in the Russian Federation who are helping LGBT Chechens get to safety
- Rainbow Railroad — Canadian organization working with the Russian LGBT Network to get fleeing Chechens to countries where they will be safer.
- American Friends of Rainbow Railroad — A fundraising organization for Rainbow Railroad. U.S. taxpayers who want to deduct a charitable donation from their income taxes can donate here.