So as I counted down the days until Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words went on hiatus, I had things to do and wanted everything to go in a tidy, organized manner. So of course, everything rapidly descended into chaos. The dishwasher broke down, I had to deal with family RL issues, and then there were squirrels. Well, a squirrel. In the house. For an extended stay.
I think he or she is finally gone. Of course, with this one, you just don’t know.
Had squirrels in the house before. Some brought in via the many animals, furkids who have lived here over the years. Moles, voles, shrews, chipmunks, and the occasional field mouse have all made it in as the unfortunate “living gifts or toys” from various cats and dogs over the years. Most actually made it back outside. Then there are the visitors down through the chimney., that wonderful artificial “tree hollow” that has seen so many over the decades (my father built this house).
Most of the squirrels and I have come to a tried and true method when they arrive into the family room that way. I open the back doors into the yard and boom, out they go. No drama, all very neat and quick. I had assumed we, the squirrel community and I had an agreement on this. All very civilized of course.
But it seems in every small group there exists a rebel. One who goes left, when all the others go right. That is the squirrel who came down the chimney several days ago.
They did not go right out the door into the yard. Nooooooo. They went left. Dashing madly up the stairs into the living room where my tubby little dog awaited! With glee! They then proceeded to zoom around many levels of house, levels of rooms, well the squirrel did, tubby didn’t. Then it happened. I lost track of the squirrel. And it went stealth. No chattering, nothing.
And its scent was everywhere so said dog couldn’t find him. Although to be fair my sausage with a head gave it his all. All day and all night tracking the now quiet and unmoving squirrel. I had looked with my trusty flashlight. The next day, we had a sighting! And then it went quickly hiding until located once more. I mean is this squirrel a secret Russian operative?
Found! Unbelievably in the closet full of Christmas Nutcrackers (honestly who writes these things) in the library, up behind all those boxes. Couldn’t get to it and that squirrel wasn’t coming out. So new tactic. Call Animal Control with the nets to come and get it to release. Right? Nope. I should have remembered. Unless it’s actually in a trap, nope. Back to square one. My own method. While I was pondering what to do, Rambo squirrel made a move, busted out of the louvered door closet and out of the library for another round of madcap chasing. Door propped up, and again I didn’t see it go out.
Tubby is investigating my desk in the library and the closet as I write this. No idea if the squirrel is out or in. Time will tell.
Good news, my little dog has had more exercise than if he’d had a zillion Peloton workouts. Yay squirrel.
Honestly, I think its out, don’t you? 😬
In the meantime, I am thinking the hiatus will be more like me making intermittent reviews and ramblings until we are back fulltime in June 2020. Too many books to talk about and apparently things to say.
So stay tuned, more on this later on.
This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, January 26:
- So Squirrels. This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, January 27:
- Review Tour – Garrett Leigh – The Edge Of The World
- A MelanieM Review: The Edge of the World by Garrett Leigh
- A MelanieM Review: Ted of the d’Urbervilles by Rob Rosen
Tuesday, January 28:
- Book Blast – Earnest Ink by Alex Hall
- AUDIOBOOK TOUR – Love’s Trials by Janice Jarrell
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady:Howling on Hold by EJ Russell
- A Free Dreamer Review: Loose Ends (Badlands Book 4) by Morgan Brice
Wednesday, January 29:
- REòEASE BLITZ Bound to Liberty by Kai Tyler
- Release Blitz – Hold Me Up by Colette Davison
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Stay Lucky by Leta Blake
- A Chaos Moondrawn Review Asylum by Julian Burnes
Thursday, January 30:
- BLITZ Better Than Beginnings by Lane Hayes
- Tour: BL Dayhoff on The Right Move
- A MelanieM Review: Loose Ends (Badlands Book 4) by Morgan Brice
- A Free Dreamer Review Out of Time (Out of Time #5) by C.B. Lewis
- A MelanieM Review:Howling on Hold by EJ Russell
Friday, January 31:
- Blog Tour – Loose Ends (Badlands Book 4) by Morgan Brice
- Release Blitz – Say It (Fascination Series Book 1) by Sky McCoy
- Release Blitz with ARC Reviews – Fight For This by Suki Fleet
- A MelanieM Review: Head in the Game by Jeff Adams
- A MelanieM Audio Review:All I Want Is You by DJ Jamison and Wyatt Baker (Narrator)
Saturday, February 1:
- So What Happens Next?