Volley Balls (Balls to the Wall #1) by Tara Lain
Cover Artist: Reese Dante
Available for Purchase at
And at iBooks
Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words is happy to have Tara Lain here today talking about her latest release Volley Balls! Welcome, Tara!
10 Fun Facts About Volley Balls by Tara Lain
Hi everyone! I’m Tara Lain, I write the Beautiful Boys of Romance, and I’m here at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words celebrating the re-release of my very popular novella, Volley Balls. The book is revised and expanded and I thought I’d share 10 Fun Facts about my new book –
- The new version of Volley Balls is almost twice as long as the original
- Volley Balls is a MMM ménage. All the other books in the series are MM.
- I never felt that the love between all three men was fully explored in the original story. That’s why I expanded it.
- 3. The story was once going to be called David and Goliath, but I changed my mind shortly into the book and named it after two of the heroes who are volleyball players. Volley Balls was born.
- The original book was supposed to be part of a multi-author anthology, taking place on the beach. The book was so popular, however, it spawned an entire series
- Volley Balls was the first story I set in Laguna Beach, CA. Since then, I’ve written 13 or 14 more books in this same setting.
- Volley Balls was the third book I ever wrote and as it generated more books in the series, I became known as the “Balls girl”. I have other better known books now, but these were my first bestsellers.
- Naming the Balls books has always been a fun game for my readers. You would barely believe some of the names they’ve come up with – and I love them so much, I wish I could write a story for each one.
- Part of Volley Balls takes place at the famous Pageant of the Masters, a real live event in Laguna every summer during which live actors portray works of art. Some of them play nude artworks just as my hero in Volley Balls is the statue of David.
- Two of my heroes in Volley Balls are Australian – actually one’s an American raised in Australia – and Australia is a country I’ve visited and love. So far, these are my only Aussie romantic heroes.
I hope you enjoyed learning a bit more about Volley Balls. Below is a nibble from the book.
Excerpt: Volley Balls by Tara Lain – Revised and Expanded
A double dose of alpha male might be better than one.
Despite just getting out of an abusive relationship with an asshole alpha, David Underwood’s wandering glance lands on two hot members of the Australian volleyball team on Laguna Beach and gets him harassed again. Still, when the delicious Gareth Marshall proves his interest by coming out to his team, David succumbs to his attraction. But Gareth’s volleyball partner, Edge, who’s equally hot, makes the lover’s lives miserable.
For Gareth, a lifetime of hiding his orientation—and his attraction—from his best friend, Edge, as well as everyone else around him, adds up to hurt and frustration. David’s the first man to ever compete with Edge for Gareth’s passion. But Edge has secrets of his own, and David’s ex-lover will never be happy without David under his fist. With everything stacked against him, can a gay Laguna man find happiness with an alpha male–or two?
Gareth shifted uneasily in the darkened amphitheater. Another scene change. The effects were lovely and sometimes awe-inspiring, but he’d gotten the idea in the first half hour. He was ready to go.
He glanced to his left at Edge, who seemed fascinated with the show. Intriguing, since Edge had the attention span of a gnat. The other guys were more restless, jabbing each other when the bare-breasted art pieces appeared, but they managed to stay on the near side of rude.
He settled back for the duration. Maybe a little catnap. The lights came up as he started to close his eyes. He heard an indrawn breath and looked up. Holy, bloody, everlasting hell.
In the center of the vast stage, on a rotating platform in a single perfect spotlight, was David, the masterwork of Michelangelo. Gareth had seen it in Florence several times, and every sense he had told him he was looking at the actual statue, although his mind knew this was a human being. Glowing, luminous, absolutely still… sweet bloody Christ, how could someone do it? How could they have found a person so perfect?
He noticed a deep stillness in the audience and also among his mates. Edge was absolutely motionless. Unusual for him. But the statue, the guy, was just that beautiful.
Gareth cocked his head. The model’s legs were not as big and muscular as the Michelangelo. This “statue” was a bit leaner and even more graceful. The pedestal kept turning. He squinted. Bloody hell, he’d seen that perfect ass before. He peered into the pool of light as the David rotated. He’d seen those amazing cheekbones.
It was the guy from the beach and the shop. Gareth rifled through his program for the name. David Underwood. The one who owned the gallery. The fag. Gareth shifted onto his hip, leaning away from Edge. Wouldn’t do to let his pouf-hating friend see his massive erection.
About the Author
Tara Lain writes the Beautiful Boys of Romance in LGBT erotic romance novels that star her unique, charismatic heroes. Her first novel was published in January of 2011 and she’s now somewhere around book 35. Her best-selling novels have garnered awards for Best Series, Best Contemporary Romance, Best Paranormal Romance, Best Ménage, Best LGBT Romance, Best Gay Characters, and Tara has been named Best Writer of the Year in the LRC Awards. In her other job, Tara owns an advertising and public relations firm. She often does workshops on both author promotion and writing craft. She lives with her soul-mate husband and her soul-mate dog near the sea in California where she sets a lot of her books. Passionate about diversity, justice, and new experiences, Tara says on her tombstone it will say “Yes”!
FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/taralain