There’s More to Romance …
The last couple of weeks we’ve been discussing the elements that “break” our romance books. The things that stop the reading cold or leave us with a DNF. Cheating is up there on the list. And at the end of today’s blog hand out a few gift certs and post the last of the comments on the subject.
But what about the opposite?
What in our romance stories gladdens our hearts? Makes a story jump out of the ordinary? Widens our outlook? Let’s us perceive something special about a piece of the world or aspect of falling in love that we hadn’t seen or thought of in the same way before? That in some way the author dug a little deeper into your heart with their tale, that some element that connected you so completely to the characters and their relationship hooked you, that even now, you can’t forget their love story.
Something that made that story magic beyond your expectations.
I was thinking Shelter the Sea (The Roosevelt series) by Heidi Cullinan , Clear Water by Amy Lane, and RJ Scott’s the Texas series (and attached Legacy group), Watermelon Kisses by Freddy MacKay,Antisocial by Heidi Cullinan,Tales From Verania series by T.J. Klune just for starters. Those are a few that leapt to mind in seconds. Can you guess what elements in each might have made them memorable? Have you read the stories?
Of course my list stretches for far longer. That’s merely a tease.
But each of those grabbed at my heart while stretching my mind and horizons in some way. They made me cry and laugh and fall in love. Over and over.
Quickly now…which books popped into your head? Let me know…let all of us know and why. And then I’ll fill you in next week on more of my choices and why they made my list as well.
Now let’s put a close to our Romance No’s:
I’ll chime in here – so busy couldn’t comment last week but agree with most everything. My perspective is that I understand why folks can not like cheating – ONE reason folks can like rom is for escapism, and they don’t like RL intruding b/c they already have too much of that. In that way, I think rom is a type of fantasy, and I can relate. Been there. But I usually appreciate more where MCs have RL flaws, and that’s reality, which includes in a majority of straight & gay relationships, “cheating,” (I love the Boystown series). And my being a cis gay male amongst other gay guys, let me tell you – I know there is much more diversity there than depicted in m/m rom, that it’s part of the culture, and frankly that’s why many guys think gender makes a difference among authors b/c one does not often “get it.” I think personally it has more to do with targeted audience, experiences, preferences, empathy, deep understanding … and it’s all good. You said it best “Life is messy and its always been about how the author has handled the subject.” A WELL-WRITTEN TALE TRUMPS A TROPE EVERY TIME (pun intended).
Holy! EXCREMENT!?!? WTH!!! Okay, that will be a HUGE NO for me
Furthering my comment from last week in which I can still tolerate cheating but getting really pissed off when it comes to threesome, or ‘forced’ threesomes brought me to a couple of books. “A Vintage Affair” by Josh Lanyon made me VERY angry because the love-interest suddenly brought a woman to sleep with the MC because he wanted to “challenge” the MC that sex is just sex. Then I also DNF “My Heartache Cowboy” by ZAM who also introduced threesome scene in the middle.
I guess i’m good if the threesome is stated in the beginning, or the book is marketed as threesome. But if it somehow introduced in the middle, without any warning, it’ll be huge NO for me.
And H.B. with a no on poo, “Blood play and humiliation would also bother me.”
Yep, poo is a big no for lots of us.
Very enlightening! And while cheating still remains a big no, it still comes down to the author and great writing.
Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words is handing off $10 gift certs to: Chris Tharrington and ashleyomelia
Please contact Stella at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will get your gift cert to you. Congratulations!
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, July 8:
- There’s More to Romance and This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
- Release Blitz – Riza Curtis – The Dragon’s Thief
- The Pet Stylist and The Playboy by Rebecca James Release Blitz
Monday, July 9:
- DSP Promo Scotty Cade
- Release Blitz for Tight Quarters by Annabeth Albert
- BLITZ – Nectar and Ambrosia by E.M. Hamill
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Audiobook Review: WITH A KICK Collection #1 by Clare London
- A MelanieM Review: Hard Contact (Guild Enforcer, #1) by Ali Atwood
- An Ali Audiobook Review: Familiar Angel by Amy Lane and Narrator: Gomez Pugh
- Leaning Into Forever by Lane Hayes Blog Tour
- DSP Dreamspun Promo j. leigh bailey
- BLOG TOUR The Wulf Chronicles by Wulf Francu Godgluck
- A Caryn Review: Love Me Louder by Christina Lee
- An Alisa Review A Desperate Love by J.D. Walker
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Leaning Into Forever by Lane Hayes
Wednesday, July 11:
- Review Tour – Garrett Leigh – Believe (Skins #3)
- Temple of Time by Geoffrey Knight Blog Tour
- RELEASE BLITZ Love it Like You Stole It by Ki Brightly
- A Jeri Review : Believe (Skins #3) by Garrett Leigh
- A MelanieM Review: Bloodlines (Boystown #7) by Marshall Thornton
- A MelanieM Review: Born of Air (Dragon Soul #4) by Sean Michael
Thursday, July 12:
- Harmony Promo Annabelle Jay
- Release Blitz – The Omega’s Second Chance by Kenna Grace
- DSP Promo Andrew Grey
- An Alisa Review: Discovery (Kinky in the City #3) by Quinn Ward
- A Stella Release Day Review: Camwolf by JL Merrow
- An Ali Audiobook Review: Family Man By Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton/Colin Darcy (Narrator)
Friday, July 13:
- DSP Promo Z. Allora
- BLOG TOUR for Badlands by Morgan Brice
- 99c Book Blast – Double Dare by Jeanne St. James
- A MelanieM Review: Ground of Insurrection by Mell Eight
- A MelanieM Recent Release Review: Galaxies and Oceans by N.R. Walker
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Release Day Review: Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin #10) by Jordan L. Hawk
Saturday, July 14:
- BLOG TOUR (Exclusive Post) Pursuing Happiness by Jessie Pinkham
- Release Blitz – To Love & Protect His Omega by Quinn Michaels
- A MelanieM Review: The Wolf at Bay by Charlie Adhara