“O wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn’s being.
Thou, from whose unseen presence the leaves dead
Are driven, like ghosts from an enchanter fleeing.”
– Percy Bysshe Shelley
Yes, November has arrived along with the falling colored leaves and winds that briskly move them over the landscape to hide the few flowers that remain of summer and the ordered gardens where they reside. The last of the plants that migrate indoors and out have returned to their wintering places inside and all the pups have gotten their new sweaters to ward off the approaching cold.
I love this time of year, the month that Emily Dickinson always called “..the Norway of the year.” The cold sets in, birds swarm in flittering layers looking for warmth and food, and the days grow shorter until the sunlight feels fleeting indeed. It’s a wonderful time for reflection, reading, writing, and knitting. Of cosy rooms and closeness. Its Thanksgiving, family gatherings and sharing. Its quiet, and dark, and contemplative. So many things to so many people.
For the terriers, it’s the deer in the backyard munching on acorns and the remnants of the hostas. It’s the squirrels, and raccoons, and possums at the feeders, sharing along with the birds and odd field mouse. And always watching in the background, still and opportunistic, wait the fox, the hawk and the owl. Even as the pups voice their objections to our visitors, I love the interplay I can observe and the many places they all find within the confines of my gardens and trees.
Even now as the wind whips by and the threat of our first frost appears, I love that it’s November.
I hope you all had a wonderful October. There were so many great books released that your lists should be bulging by now. If you missed it, check out our October 2014 Summary of Reviews and Best Covers. Let me know what covers you loved that we missed and what books you have added to your pile of novels you’re swearing to get to now.
Here is this week’s schedule at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words:
Monday, November 3:
- A MelanieM Review: The Devil Lancer by Astrid Amara
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Starstruck by L.A. Witt
Tuesday, November 4:
- Riptide tour: Cornelia Grey’s Circus of the Damned Tour
- A MelanieM Review: Circus of the Damned by Cornelia Grey
- A MelanieM Review: Sleigh Bells: Minnesota Christmas by Heidi Cullinan
Wednesday, November 5:
- Book Tour: Jude Dunn’s One Thing Leads (contest)
- Riptide Book Tour: L.A. Witt’s Starstruck
- A MelanieM Review: Heat by Chris Quinton and RJ Scott
Thursday, November 6:
- TB Tour: LM Brown’s Between Heaven and Hell
- A MelanieM Review: The Best Corpse for the Job by Charlie Cochrane
- A MelanieM Review: Cold Day in Hell by Lee Brazil (PF2014, story 5)
Friday, November 7:
- RJ Scott Book tour: Darach, book 2 in the Fire Series
- DESERT FOXE: A Skyler Foxe Mystery Haley Walsh Book Tour (contest)
- A MelanieM Review: Off Course by Bailey Bradford
YA Saturday, November 8:
- An Aurora YA Review: Carnival-Decatur by Zoe Lynne
We are still looking for reviewers. If you are interested, please email me at email@example.com.