Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words’ Down Under Author Showcase continues this coming week, starting off with John Terry Moore, author of Black Dog, published through Dreamspinner Press. I hope you all have been discovering new authors and great stories as the month progresses. I know I have added immensely to my TBR pile and auto buy authors.
I’ve posted interesting facts about Australia and New Zealand every day this week and today is no exception. Here are our Australia and New Zealand Facts of the Day:
Interesting Facts about Australia:
It is thought that Aboriginals have called Australia home for between 40,000 and 80,000 years.
British settlers aboard the 11 ships of the First Fleet arrived in Botany Bay in 1788 but moved north to Port Jackson (Sydney Cove) a few days later when they found the Botany Bay site unsuitable. They arrived at Port Jackson on the 26th January 1788 (now Australia Day).
The number of convicts transported to Australia was about 162,000; they were transported in 806 ships.
About 98-99% of the convicts sent here were from England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland but some were sent from other British colonies like Canada and India, while others came from New Zealand, Hong Kong the Caribbean and other countries.
A lot of soldiers were also transported here for crimes like mutiny and desertion.
The Transportation of British convicts to Australia ended in 1868.
New Zealand Fascinating Facts!
Christmas in New Zealand follows soon after midsummer’s day. Many northern hemisphere traditions prevail in NZ, including tinsel-covered pine trees and christmas cards portraying snow & reindeer. The pohutukawa tree comes into peak-bloom in late December and is known as New Zealand’s Christmas tree.
(Plus did you see those cool Glowworm caves in an earlier Fact? No, go back and see what you missed each day of the month!)
Our Schedule This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words:
Monday, January 12:
- Down Under Day 12 Intro-Welcome, John Terry Moore, AUS/NZ facts and
- Down Under Author : John Terry Moore (interview/contest)
- A Dangerous Reality by Layla Wolfe Book Tour and Contest
- ‘The Harvest: Journey’s End’ by MA Church – Excerpt tour and contest
- A Sammy Review: Down and Dirty by Rhys Ford
Tuesday, January 13:
- Down Under Day 13 Intro-Welcome, Beany Sparks! AUS/NZ Facts of the Day
- Down Under Author Beany Sparks (contests, interview)
- Review: Beany Spark’s Paws and Magic stories
- Book Blast: Tristan’s Lover by Nicoline Tiernan” (contest)
- HL Foster ‘A Valet’s Duty’ book blast and contest
Wednesday, January 14:
- Down Under Day 14 Intro-Welcome, A.B. Gayle, AUS/NZ Facts of the Day
- Down Under Author: A. B. Gayle (contests, interview)
- A Sammy Review: Red+Blue (Opposites Attract #1) by A.B. Gayle
- A Sammy Review: Leather+Lace by A. B. Gayle
Thursday, January 15:
- Down Under Day 15 Intro-Welcome, Lisa Henry, AUS/NZ Facts of the Day
- Down Under Author Lisa Henry (contests, interview)
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: The Merchant of Death by Lisa Henry and J. A. Rock
- A MelanieM Review: When All The World Sleeps by Lisa Henry and JA Rock
- Burnt Toast B&B (A Bluewater Bay novel) by Heidi Belleau and Rachel Haimowitz (tour and contest)
Friday, January 16:
- Down Under Day 16 Intro-Welcome, Meredith Shayne, AUS/NZ Facts of the Day
- Down Under Author Meredith Shayne (contests, interviews)
- A MelanieM Review: Whitewater by Meredith Shayne
- A MelanieM Review: Cutting out by Meredith Shayne
- A Barb, the Zany Old Lady Review: Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi Belleau and Rachel Haimowitz
Saturday, January 17:
- Down Under Day 17 Intro-Welcome, Pelaam!
- Down Under Author Pelaam (contests, interviews)
- A MelanieM Review: Angel in a Bookshop by RJ Scott