Of Covers and Valentine’s Day Books
I’m of two minds this Sunday. Valentine’s Day which is coming up in two weeks and book covers which has been occupying my mind a lot recently. So I’m going to burble on a bit about both today to get the gears cranking for major posts down the line. Chime in please with your thoughts here.
First up books covers. Lately I either absolutely love them, think the artists are whacking it right out of the cover ballpark so to speak or find them bland, bland, bland. Not a whole lot of in between. I’m not sure if that’s due to the huge amounts of authors now self-publishing and actually trying to do the covers themselves. Or perhaps the limited choice in photography the cover artist can choice from when designing the cover? All I know is that certain artists names pop up again and again on the covers that people love and that stand out on favorite lists. Natasha Snow has had a great year (last year too). I love her covers. Paul Richmond, Anne Cain, Reese Dante? So too Angsty G, and Aaron Anderson. They continue to blow me away. Posh Gosh over at Pride Publishing has done the same for years. Garrett Leigh or GD Leigh has a style about her covers that so immediately recognizable that it jumps out at you. LC Chase? Shakes head….amazing.
And I’m throwing this out here for discussion. Back in 2008, Anne Cain did the cover for J.L. Langley’s My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1). IMO its the gold standard for all half naked torso covers and may indeed be the first. Can anyone think of one before this? To me, it still is beyond amazing and yes, utterly drool worthy. Comments? Here’s the cover. And if you haven’t read the story, you should! Just outstanding!
So many manage to combine an eye-catching design, story elements, along with a striking color combination that comes together in a cover that pulls you in and makes you want to read that book! Now think of all the ones that totally missed that mark. The nondescript ones, the ones that could be for any book let alone the one you are reading, the “oh, here’s another….fill in the blank for me” image cover. There seems to be a lot of those to balance out the sublime. So I’m planning on a couple of posts to talk about the state of covers these days. How do you feel about them? Do you have your favorite artists? Fav covers? What strikes your fancy when it comes to cover art? More on that later but start talking to me please!
Valentine’s Day Giveaway
Then it’s soon to be Valentine’s Day and I know there are book written with this in mind. Can I think of them now? No! But maybe you can. Who can remember Valentine’s Day stories? Or maybe ones with Cupid in them? I know there are a few of those out there. Of course we will have a giveaway attached to that. It’s our Cupid or Valentine’s Day Giveaway! Give us your favorite Valentine’s Day stories! The one overflowing with romantic, love, roses, or whatever! Giveaway is a gift card from Dreamspinner Press for $10. Contest ends on February 17th at midnight.
Winter Story List Challenge!
So last week we offered up the Winter List Challenge! We asked What’s your Most Memorable Winter Stories? From now until the end of the month, get in your recommendations! We will pick a winner or two to receive a gift card of $10. Make sure you include your name and email address where you can be reached. So bring on the Brrrrrs and the Winter Recommendations! Contest ends January 28 at mid.
Now about those wonderful lists from our readers, here’s the recommendations we’ve received so far. Remember you have until midnight tonight. Winner is Moondrawn. Congrats! Please contact Stella at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will arrange to get you your gift card!
Now onto this week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, February 4:
- Of Covers, Valentine’s Day Books and This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
- Release Blitz – KA Merikan – Just Here For The Pain
Monday, February 5:
- DSP Dreamspun Desires Promo Shira Anthony on Swann’s Revenge
- DSP Promo R.L. Merrill on Hurricane Reese
- La Famiglia (A Men of Gilead Novel) by Deanna Wadsworth Blog Tour
- A Stella Review: Still The One (The Best Gift #2) by Shawn Lane
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Friends and Lovers by Tinnean
- An Alisa Audiobook Review: The Long and Winding Road (Bear, Otter, and the Kid #4) by TJ Klune and Sean Crisden (Narrator)
Tuesday, February 6:
- Cover Reveal – Out Of The Ocean by Lynn Michaels
- DSP Promo H. M. Shepherd
- Rob Rosen on And God Belched
- A Caryn Release Day Review: Swann’s Revenge by Shira Anthony
- An Ali Release Day Review: Bobby Green (Johnnies #5) by Amy Lane
- An Alisa Review:Alpha Dragon: Taran (Treasured Ink #1) by Kaz Crowley & Kellan Larkin
Wednesday, February 7:
- Book Blast My Horrible Gay Dating Life by Dimitrius Jones
- DSP Dreamspun Desires Promo j. leigh bailey
- Release Blitz: RJ Scott’s Seth & Casey
- A Jeri Review: Going Overboard (Anchor Point #5) by L.A. Witt
- An Ali Audiobook Review: Coach’s Challenge (Scoring Chances# 5) by Avon Gale and Scott R. Smith
- An Alisa Review: Tarnished Hero by Temple Madison
Thursday, February 8:
- Blog tour for Resist and Triumph charity anthology by Joe Bone, editor
- DSP Guest Post CJane Elliott
- Release Blitz Tour – Selina Kray – In Wild Lemon Groves
- A Caryn Review: The Artist’s Touch (Art Medium) by E.J. Russell
- An Alisa Review: Camp Lake Omega by Penelope Peters
- A MelanieM Audiobook Review: Lost and Found by Rick R. Reed and Narrator: Michael Neeb
Friday, February 9:
- From Ashes by K.M. Neuhold Audiobook Tour
- Release Blitz – Sam Burns – Wolf & The Holly
- RIPTIDE TOUR Going Overboard by LA Witt
- Series Blitz – Katze Snow – Demons & Wolves
- A Lila Review: The Man on the Balcony by Edward Kendrick
- An Alisa Release Day Review: Just for Nice by H. M. Shepherd
Saturday, February 10:
- Release Blitz – Keira Andrews – Winning Edge
- Heart2Heart, A Charity Anthology Release Day Blitz
- A MelanieM Review: Rook by T. Strange