Representation and Romance Stories.
Last week I went to brunch with some of my MD/VA/DC group of LGBTQIA authors, publishers, bloggers, and readers. It’s a lively group and after a while some of the discussion turned to how the Asch community was represented in the fiction released at the certain publisher. The overall feeling was that the asexual community (given that is a broad spectrum itself) was well represented in our opinion (not so in an author’s not in attendance which is what sparked the conversation).
Wow, how things have changed in just a short time. I can remember when that really wasn’t the case.
There was a time not that long ago where all the stories were strictly M/M or F/F, no bi, no trans, no asch, no intersex, pansexual, or any of the quilt bag spectrum as my friend J. Scott Coatsworth calls it .
Now that has changed. Or at least I feel it has. I’m reading more and more stories where happily the Quiltbag community is well represented. More stories, outstanding and moving stories that feature main characters that fall anywhere along the LGBTQIA lineup…not just the L and the G.
What must that mean for the Quiltbag readers to see their reflections in fiction? Finally? I can only begin to imagine.
I know some are better represented that others. But overall I feel the move is for inclusion. Diversity. And not just in science fiction which is where I first saw and still see a huge amount of LGBTQIA stories that have beings of various sexualities, genders, and accepting societies (logical right?) Plus I do read a lot of stories. So maybe I’m biased.
What do you all think? How is the LGBTQIA community represented in fiction today? In romance stories? How has it progressed? Is one sector more represented over others and why do you think that is? Where do you see improvements? Where the least?
Is there stories you have read that have made an impact on you? What are they?
Tell me how you feel….I really want to know….
Now for this week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words….
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, August 5:
- Release Blitz – The Selkie Prince’s Fated Mate by J.J. Masters
- Representation and Romance Stories.
- This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, August 6:
- BLITZ Death Days by Lia Cooper
- Series Recap Blitz – Montana Series – RJ Scott
- Blog Tour: Hard to Hold by Jaclyn Quinn
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Risk Taker (Mixed Messages #3) by Lily Morton
- A MelanieM Review: Savior (415 Ink #2) by Rhys Ford
- A MelanieM Review: Hard to Hold (Haven’s Cove #3) by Jaclyn Quinn
Tuesday, August 7:
- Blog Post – Brave For You – Crystal Lacy
- DSP Promo BA Tortuga
- DSP Promo Tara Lain
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: The Missing Ingredient by Brian Lancaster
- An Alisa Review Step Into Love (Taboo Love #2) by Lili Draguer
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: Mammoth! (Repeating History #3) by Dakota Chase
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review :Truth & Betrayal by KC Wells
Wednesday, August 8:
- BLITZ 2230: The Perfect Year by CM Corett
- DSP Cover Reveal Chapman Brown
- Release Blitz – Goal Line – RJ Scott & V.L. Locey
- DSP Promo K.A. Mitchell
- A MelanieM Release Day Review: Rainbow Rodeo by BA Tortuga
- A Jeri Review: A Dangerous Dance (Haven Hart Universe #3) by Davidson King
- A MelanieM Pre-release Review: Love at First Hate (Porthkennack #11) by J.L. Merrow
Thursday, August 9:
- DSP Promo Andrew Grey
- Harmony Promo Dakota Chase on Mammouth and Repeating History
- Release Blitz – Salt Magic, Skin Magic by Lee Welch
- Taught by Tarilyn Sparks Release Day Blitz
- A Free Dreamer Review: Salt Magic, Skin Magic by Lee Welch
- A Lila Review: Cold Like Snow by Sita Bethel
- An Ali Review: Love It Like You Stole It by Ki Brightly
Friday, August 10:
- DSP Cover Reveal Andrew Grey
- DSP Dreamspun Promo Brian Lancaster on The MIssing Ingredient
- In the Spotlight: The Long Way Around by Quinn Anderson
- Salt Magic Skin Magic by Lee Welch Author Blog
- A Caryn Release Day Review: Shoulder Season (World of Love) by Jackie North
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Be Still My Heart (Four Kings Security Book 2) by Charlie Cochet
- A Lucy Audiobook Review : Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville #1) by Aimee Nicole Walker and Joel Leslie (Narrator)
Saturday, August 11:
- Release Blitz – KA Merikan’s Gray’s Shadow (Kings of Hell MC)
- A MelanieM Review: Forged in Flood by Dahlia Donovan