The Prince William County PFLAG (VA) youth group is seeking contributions of either young adult (YA) paperbacks or cash donations to purchase books for the PFLAG youth library. If you have any questions or wish to donate, please contact Lynn Schmitz, PFLAG facilitator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not familiar with PFLAG? PFLAG is Parents, Families,Friends, and Allies united with LGBTQIA people to move equality forward. Their National PFLAG website can be found here. Its also the place to locate your local chapters. More and more of our publishers are turning toward the YA and New Adult market. This includes many publishers you are familiar with such as Dreamspinner Press, with its Harmony Ink YA Press, Interlude Press with its new YA imprint, Duet Books, Torquere Books with its Prizm Press: Young Adult Novels LGBT Characters, Bold Strokes Books (YA division) among the ones that come immediately to mind.
Think about the books you read as a preteen or teenager. Did the great ones, the memorable ones seem to speak to you? Involve characters that you could identity with? I bet some of you are smiling now just remembering those stories that made your day, helped you through a crisis, or just let you know you weren’t alone in your thoughts and problems. These can be tough years and books that take you away or make things that are scary at that age less fearsome are important.
Now image you are a young LGBTQIA child, preteen, teenager, whatever the age. I don’t imagine the local or school libraries have many books that have characters that you can identity with.
Where do you turn for stories where you can see yourself in the characters or situations? That’s where this PFLAG youth library comes in. There are some terrific YA LGBTQIA stories out there. You need look no further than our own Aurora’s YA reviews to see that. Lynn Schmitz and her fellow PFLAG associates are trying to put together such a library. And they need our help.
Write Lynn, see what books she has already been given, what books the library is looking for and how you can help this project grow! Is there a need for such a library in your county or city? Check it all out and see how we can help our LGBTQIA youth find the joys we discovered in books when we were their age. Again Lynn Schmitz email address is email@example.com
Let’s make a difference…one book at a time!
This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, June 7, 2015:
- Julie Lynn Hayes – When Will I Be Loved virtual tour and contest
- Book Spotlight: Drifting Sands by C.J. Baty (excerpt and giveaway)
- Love YA Fiction? Want to Donate a Book? This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, June 8, 2015:
- Cover Reveal for ‘Scent of the Heart‘ by Parker Williams (interview, excerpt and giveaway)
- Disappear With Me 2nd Edition by Dean Frech tour and contest
- A Mika Review: The Bruise Black Sky by John Wiltshire
- A MelanieM Review: Counselor to the Wolves by Liv Olteano
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
- Cara Dee Blog Tour for Northbound and Northland (guest blog and giveaway)
- Belinda Burke Totally Bound Tour and Contest
- A Mika Review: Northbound by Cara Dee
- A BJ Review: Rorschach Blots by RoughDraftHero aka R. D. Hero
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
- Drama Queen by Joe Cosentino blog release tour and giveaway
- Fool School by James Comins/Guest Blog and Contest
- A Mika Review: Northland (The North Novels #2) by Cara Dee
- A BJ Review: In Sunshine or in Shadow (Short Stories, Volume 1) by Josh Lanyon
Thursday, June 11, 2015:
- Denial, Deceit, Discovery by J. James Non Fiction Book Tour
- Book Spotlight: Cate Ashwood’s The Storm Before the Calm (interview and giveaway)
- A Mika Review: Murder and Mayhem by Rhys Ford
- A MelanieM Review: Denial, Deceit, Discovery by J. James
- Reviewer Author Discovery: BJ on Author Jaye McKenna (new feature)
Friday, June 12, 2015:
- Patricia Logan ‘Silver Linings’ Virtual tour and contest
- RJ Scott’s “Retrograde” Release Day Celebration and Contest
- Brandon Shire’s The Love of Wicked Men Box Set Tour and giveaway
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: When to Hold Them by D. B. Gordon
- A MelanieM Review: Diamond Draw by Laura Harner (PF 2015)
YA Saturday, June 13:
- An Aurora YA Review: Out of Order by Casey Lawrence