What Are Romance Don’ts For You…in Stories of course?
I’m always interested in what turns readers on, makes them keep searching out certain authors, certain types of stories and series. The reverse is also true. I’m curious to know whats the turnoff for readers. What will kill a story faster than a full moon can make a were all fluffy?
I’m not talking about simple bad writing, paroxysms of purple prose (I sorta love those…I giggle away), and cardboard characters and unintelligible plots. No I’m talking about something that while you are reading along, the book is going fine and all of a sudden, there it is. The thing that has you going “nope, not reading further”, and you are done.
I have to admit the one I hear the most is that people don’t want their main characters to cheat. At all. It doesn’t matter whether they haven’t even met the guy they are going to have their HFN or HEA yet. They don’t want to see them with anyone else in the story.
These are readers who place a strict moral behavior line on their mcs and expect it to be adhered to.
Some readers want light, sweet romances (which does not necessarily exclude depth in storyline or characters). Others place a limit on the amount of violence or types of sex or kink they may want in the novels. Do you exclude anything other than a typical M/M coupling from your reading lists? Not judging, just curious.
And how much sex is too much?
I actually went to a couple of How to Write Romance sites to see if they addressed any of this and the answer is not really.One said not to have a sex scene in every chapter. Many recommended no instant love but to build it up gradually. Many said to learn how to write “good” sex scenes. Under one site with 5 Mistakes to Avoid with Romance novels:1
- : Avoid immediate, total attraction between your story’s lovers (guess they never met Grindr or instant lust) Really
But specifics like cheating never come up. That they leave up to each individual author and their tastes.
I personally avoid novels that kill off the pets and other animals. That’s one of my things (looking at you and that horse, Amy Lane).
One recent story that I gave low ratings to didn’t even introduce the one main character’s “true love” until the last couple of pages of the story. For most of the book he was involved with a lovely intelligent man who most readers, including myself thought he would end up with, until surprise! He runs off back to Canada leaving the nice guy in Scotland and us with our jaws on the floor. Because there was no set up in the narrative and we had no idea who this person was. Stunningly awful.
So while the mc’s don’t have to be together (letters written, two povs), I must actually know who he is. Smh.
And finally, if you have a narrative bugaboo, is there a author or book that convinced you or was so well written that they made you overlook it?
Write in and let me know….there might be gifts ahead for those that chime in.
This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, June 24:
- Book Blast Witchbane by Morgan Brice
- A MelanieM Review: A Time For Secrets (Boystown #4) by Marshall Thornton
- What Are Romance Don’ts For You? This Week At Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, June 25:
- RELEASE BLITZ Daniel (The Third Legacy) by RJ Scott
- Release Blitz – JM Snyder – Commanding Officer Thomas
- Release Blitz – Speed Dating the Boss by Sue Brown
- DSP Promo EJ Russell
- An Alisa Review: Commanding Officer Thomas by J.M. Snyder
- A Jeri Review: Something About You by Riley Hart
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Cash Plays (Seven of Spades #3) by Cordelia Kingsbridge
Tuesday, June 26
- Release Blitz – Spark by Posy Roberts
- Release Blitz – Nic Starr’s Lies & Deception
- My Crunchy Life by Mia Kerick Release Blitz
- Release Blitz and Exclusive Guest Post forJanice Jarrell’s Love’s Magic
- An Ali Release Day Review: Lies & Deception by Nic Starr (
- An Alisa Release Day Review: Speed Dating the Boss (Cowboys and Angels #1) by Sue Brown
- A MelanieM Releases Day Review: All That Glitters by Kate Sherwood
Wednesday, June 27:
- Cover Reveal for Second Chance Ranch (Montana #5) by RJ Scott
- Kate Sherwood on All That Glitters (guest post)
- Review Tour – Tarian PS – That’s My Ethan
- Series Recap Blitz/Tour – RJ Scott – Montana Series
- A Caryn Review: Cinderella Boy by Kristina Meister
- A Stella Review Home Skillet (Culinary Kings #1) by Cate Ashwood & Sandra Damien
- A MelanieM Audiobook Review: Love Me Tomorrow by Ethan Day and Jason Frazier (Narrator)
Thursday, June 28:
- Release Blitz – Believe (Skins #3) by Garrett Leigh
- Release Blitz – Day Of Wrath (Taking Shield #5) – Anna Butler
- Release Blitz for Date Discovery by Quinn Ward
- DSP Promo Nic Starr on LIes & Deception
- A Free Dreamer Review: Amberlough (The Amberlough Dossier #1) by Lara Elena Donnelly
- An Alisa Review: Jordan and the Secret Pack by Sam Magna
- A MelanieM Review Learn with Me by Kris Jacen
Friday, June 29:
- Review Tour – Love’s Magic by Janice Jarrell
- Release Blitz – Sam Burn’s Stag and the Ash
- DSP Promo Louise Collins
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Unfit to Print by KJ Charles
- A Caryn Review: Fourteen Summers by Quinn Anderson
- A MelanieM Review: Love’s Magic by Janice Jarrell
- A Lucy Audiobook Review: A Full Plate by Kim Fielding and Narrator: Kenneth Obi
Saturday, June 30:
- RELEASE BLITZ Love Me Louder by Christina Lee
- Release Blitz + Giveaway – A Dance For Two by Colette Davison
- A Lucy Review A Dance For Two by Colette Davison