A Romance Must Have Heart! Romance Do’s!
A romance must have heart. Seems like such a simple idea. Such a central idea! Shouldn’t every romance ideally have heart? But you would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn’t) at the number of romances I read where the heart of the story, the love, the romance as it were was just left out of them.
Or bled out of it at some point by as aspect of the characters or their romance or even the ending.
Maybe its the lack of chemistry between the characters that kills it, or the relationship dynamics themselves. Doormats anyone? I don’t have enough fingers for the amount of times reviewers have told them they just didn’t “like” either the development of a character or a romance between characters. That it killed the story for them. No chemistry.
Sometimes its in the initial meeting of the characters. Gay for me for example (a trope I’m not fond of). You “turned” gay for someone? Ugh no. I far prefer gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual …those stories where the person discovering their sexuality whatever that maybe. Guess we are back to boxes and titles. And treatments, of course. That can do it as well. Take a heart out of a story.
How about how the couple goes about their relationship? Can that suck the life out of the romance for you? I know it can for me. See doormat above.
And then there’s the ending. So many books have crashed and burned on their endings alone. The “oh, no, they didn’t end it there” stories! We all have them. The ones that left us gobsmacked. And wanting to throw said Kindles and paperbacks across the room, the romance gone, deflating the stories like some sad pinpricked balloon.
And if you can guess a book prompted all this you would be right. Shakes head. I keep forgetting they get published like that. No, I’m not going to name it.
So that’s my rant for today. It’s safe to step back into the blog! What pokes the pin into your books? What deflates the romance quicker than you can say boom? Let me know in the comments. Our giveaway is still going on until next week.
What Makes a Book Magic List Giveaway
So let’s make this official with a What Makes a Book Magic List Giveaway. Send in your comments, it will run til the end of the month and we will giveaway 2 gift certificates to 2 lucky readers. Leave your name and email address where you can be reached if chosen.
I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with.
This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Sunday, July, 22:
- Tour – Meik & Sebastian – Obsessed by Quin Perin
- An Alisa Review – Meik & Sebastian by Quin Perin
- A Romance Must Have Heart! Romance Do’s!
- This Week at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words
Monday, July 23:
- AUDIOBOOK TOUR – Zen Alpha by Sionnach Wintergreen
- Dreamspun Promo Amy Lane on A Fool and His Manny
- Release Day Blitz Imperial Stout (Trouble Brewing #1) by Layla Reyne
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Review: Imperial Stout (Trouble Brewing #1) by Layla Reyne
- A Stella Release Day Review: Broken Rules (Mended Hearts #2) by Michaela Grey
- A Jeri Review: Sink or Swim (Anchor Point #8) by L.A. Witt
- A Free Dreamer Review: Ardulum: First Don (Ardulum) by J.S. Fields
Tuesday, July 24:
- Release Blitz – Curl Around My Heart by Londra Laine
- Release Blitz – Fusion by Posy Roberts
- RELEASE BLITZ Cold Like Snow by Sita Bethel
- A Lucy Review: Curl Around My Heart by Londra Laine
- An Alisa Review: Professor Hot Pants by by Ember-Raine Winters
- An Alisa Review: Serving Him (The Retreat #1) by L.M. Somerton
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Audiobook Review: Consorting with Dragons by Sera Trevor and Philip Alces (Narrator)
Wednesday, July 25:
- AUDIO Blog TOUR The Eagle and the Fox by Nya Rawlyns
- DSP Promo Poppy Dennison
- Release Blitz – Finding My Way Home – Doyle Global Securities #2 – Kendel Duncan
- Release Blitz with – Serving Him by L M Somerton
- A Barb the Zany Old Lady Release Day Review: Blyd and Pearce by Kim Fielding
- A MelanieM Review: Lucky Days (Boystown, #9) by Marshall Thornton
- A MelanieM Review Smoke in the Mirror (Road to Blissville #5) by Aimee Nicole Walker
Thursday, July 26:
- DSP Promo Kim Fielding on Blyd and Pearce
- Risk Taker by Lily Morton Release Day Blitz
- A Dangerous Dance by Davidson King Blog Tour
- A MelanieM Review: The Eye of Ra (Repeating History #1) by Dakota Chase
- A Stella Release Day Review: Alpha Unit One, New York by Chris T. Kat
- A Lucy Review: Erik the Pink by Matthew J. Metzger
Friday, July 27:
- Release Blitz – Brave For You – Crystal Lacy
- Cover Reveal – Mia Kerick Love Spell
- Impact Flash Fiction Anthology Tour
- DSP Promo Michaela Grey
- A Free Dreamer Review: Dark (Expedition 63 #2) by T.A. Creech
- A MelanieM Review: Impact Flash Fiction Anthology
- A VVivacious Release Day Review:Alpha Unit One, New York by Chris T. Kat
Saturday, July 28:
- Release Blitz – DJ Jamison – Hearts & Health Volume 2
- A MelanieM Review:The End of All Stories (Legends of Badal’Shari #1) by Julia Rosenthal